Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig picking for 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig picking for 30

I am cooking Sept 3 for a group of 30 adults. I want to do a whole pig for them, but don’t know how to calculate the size pig I need. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you have any ideas for next level sides - not looking for potato salad, baked beans, want to really treat these people (my staff) for all the work they’ve done during covid.

I run a Deep South GC42 if that helps.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome for you to do that for your workers! Wish my boss made us awesome BBQ...... right now, I'm just happy he's still letting me work, so I shouldn't complain.

According to Meathead's dissertation on the free side, found here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-you-need-know a 75 lb hog feeds about 50 people. In guessing you want about a 40-50 lb-er for 30 people.
    ​​​​​
    Last edited by Dewesq55; August 12, 2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

From the NC Pork Council:

”Determine number you plan to serve - allowing 11 /2 lbs. of carcass weight per person.
      This will tell you the amount of pork needed to purchase + Cooking time
      (Dressed pig: no head, no feet and split to lay flat.)
      A Guide for Purchasing
      75 lbs. dressed pig = approximately 30 lbs. cooked, chopped pork
      100 lbs. dressed pig = approximately 40 lbs. cooked, chopped pork
      125 lbs. dressed pig = approximately 50 lbs. cooked, chopped pork“

Comment

One side dish you might want to explore is corn salsa. Easy to make for crowds and goes well with pork. Fresh corn, black beans, peppers, tomato and whatever else is fresh and cheap when you make it. Here is one recipe to start with https://www.southernliving.com/recip...ean-corn-salsa

Comment

One thing to bear in mind is that the smaller the pig you buy, the less meat to bone/skin ratio. A 75 pounder will yield more meat than you probably need, but you can surely freeze the leftovers for later - or give your guests some to take home.

Comment

For a great side - check out these championship potatoes.
            They won best side at the Houston Roodeo BBQ cook off.
            The Goody Girl cook team is amazing. It's their recipe.

Not real sure how guy fieri got a hold of it.

It's also recommended by 10 out of 9 cardiologists that need a new boat.

Comment

The side I'd go to for whole hog is Founder's Backwoods Ale...

oh, right, food... Mexican Grilled Corn (Elote), also known as Mexican Street Corn.

Last edited by JGo37; August 12, 2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                +3 on Elotes! Can also be served in cups - which might be easier for a crowd.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here