Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foehn Watts
    commented on 's reply
    DANG--that looks f, uh, freeking delicious! Could you cook some more and teleport me a couple of roasts?

• Foehn Watts
    commented on 's reply
    I also have to mention that I have had my husband bone out a Picnic Pork roast (skin on) and have grilled it via indirect heat, with a pan to catch drippings. Meat was fantastic, but the smokey gravy I made with the drippings are what I ALWAYS want on mashed taters.

• Foehn Watts
    commented on 's reply
    IowaGirl--Your description of Picnic is what I was talking about. And the skin on thing must be regional, but we have always purchased from super markets. My family has been eating skin-on Picnic Pork Roast out here (greater Los Angeles metro area) for over 40 years When we were kids it was cheaper to cook a giant Picnic than it was to buy chickens enough to feed us all -- five kids in our family! Any way, everyone in my family likes pork roast and we all fight over the crispy skin.

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    If you look at the USDA recommendations, yes, 145 F is the recommended minimum "safe" temp. But the Amazing Ribs temp recommendations chart and other reputable sources suggest lower temps are also safe. From Chicago Tribune, May 24, 2011: "...Good quality pork can and should be handled like beef. I prefer 130 to 140 (degrees) for loin cuts of pork...." Coming from a pork producing family (4+ generations), I know how hogs are raised and have no problem cooking modern pork to lower temps like beef

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    The way I learned it -- A picnic cut is the lower part of the shoulder going into the foreleg, just as the shank portion of a ham is the lower part of the hindquarter going into the hind leg. Whether it has skin or not is up to the butcher. Mostly in Iowa you find most pork cuts, including the picnic, without skin. Maybe that's a regional thing?

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    When cooking at 300 and above there won’t be a stall.

• johnec00
    replied
    For sliced pork roast, I like to liberate the collar (AKA coppa, AKA money muscle) from the pork butt and smoke it to about 165º. Here's a post in SUWYC from a while back

OK, the link may not go to the actual post, but it's #1450 on the fall-winter 2019-2020 SUWYC thread.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/misc-food-talk/747437-show-us-what-you-re-cooking-suwyc-volume-15-fall-winter-2019-2020?p=809218#post809218

Last edited by johnec00; August 15, 2020, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    There's still no photo of the meat.

• Joetee
    replied
    Sorry I was so busy eating. This photo of the meat was after it set for an hour after we are. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	15975407949393683719766392117846.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	896842

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Back up there! Where are the pictures of the pork? No pics, it didn't happen. Pics of a thermometer graph just don't cut it, Joetee !

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    Really good. I took a lot of notes.

I was worried about these.

I usually smoke at a lower temp. Good crust. Juicy without being greasy. I don't think there was much of a stall. I did foil wrap for the last 1 - 1 1/2 hours and then put in the cooler for about 2 - 3 hours until dinner time.

The graph isn't the whole cook but just to show you.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200815-115332.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	896826

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    Ok just to let you all know.
    I was trying to smoke around 300°. It was from 280 to 310°. The two butts totaled about 20 to 21 pounds.
    Smoked for 8 1/2 hours. Removed them from smoker in the 197° IT range. I didn't bother taking one off early because everywhere I took a temp reading was different.
    Now... They were much better than what I smoked before. They usually come out greasy for my taste. These were not greasy at all. I still pulled the smaller one and served chunks of the other.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here