Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork roast

I don't want pulled pork. I want a pork roast. Where I would slice it into 1/2 slices.
    would a pork Butt be good for this? What temp should I remove it from the smoker? 145°?

I like pulled pork but not as much as a roast.

Is there a better piece of meat for this?
    Last edited by Joetee; August 11, 2020, 02:34 PM.

My dad has done butt and ham this way. Just run hot (300-350) and probably 185-ish will give good slices but not too tough.

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thank you. I just did a search and found one smoked at 300° until IT is 145°. So I wanted to ask you all here. So thank you.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Joetee - 145°F is good for pork loin, but there shoulder muscles (butt, picnic) have a lot connective tissue and so are tougher/chewier. O would think 145°would produce a tougher slice. Like Jerod Broussard said, 185° should producer s nice sliced today is more tender. Since the butt has more fat, and the darker meat, than the loin, it can cook to a higher IT and stay juicy which loin cannot.

Yep, pork butt is a good choice. It's a forgiving cut and is usually inexpensive. You'll want to cook it to roughly 185-190 F to get a sliceable, yet tender roast. If you stop at 145 F, the collagen won't be melted down, and the meat won't be tender.

Pork loin or pork tenderloin are other options, but they're not as forgiving as butt. You will want to cook these cuts to no more than 145 F, or they will be dry and flavorless. I shoot for a little cooler than that, but that's purely my preference -- not necessarily everyone's ideal.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      The way I learned it -- A picnic cut is the lower part of the shoulder going into the foreleg, just as the shank portion of a ham is the lower part of the hindquarter going into the hind leg. Whether it has skin or not is up to the butcher. Mostly in Iowa you find most pork cuts, including the picnic, without skin. Maybe that's a regional thing?

• Foehn Watts
      Foehn Watts commented
      Editing a comment
      IowaGirl--Your description of Picnic is what I was talking about. And the skin on thing must be regional, but we have always purchased from super markets. My family has been eating skin-on Picnic Pork Roast out here (greater Los Angeles metro area) for over 40 years When we were kids it was cheaper to cook a giant Picnic than it was to buy chickens enough to feed us all -- five kids in our family! Any way, everyone in my family likes pork roast and we all fight over the crispy skin.

• Foehn Watts
      Foehn Watts commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have to mention that I have had my husband bone out a Picnic Pork roast (skin on) and have grilled it via indirect heat, with a pan to catch drippings. Meat was fantastic, but the smokey gravy I made with the drippings are what I ALWAYS want on mashed taters.

Me and myself would go with a pork loin
    brine ,marinate , smoke and eat it

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork loin are actually pretty darn good.

Hi JoeTee. I posted this last week on the Introduce Yourself site, it’s on page 2 right now. It’s titled Panhead’s Pork Loin, and it’s wrapped in bacon. If you’re interested one day. It turned out to be the best pork loin that I ever did.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; August 11, 2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
      Foehn Watts commented
      Editing a comment
      Caint go wrong wrapping something in bacon. Sounds like a good way to keep it juicy.

We do boneless pork shoulder often. You can cook it whole or slice it into steaks then cook either way works, the latter is faster though. I’ve tried internal temps from 165 up to 185F but it seems for us that the 175-180 area is the sweet spot. If you cook it whole, once it’s finished cut the money muscle out and slice it separate into medallions....yum!

Comment

I find Pork Tenderloin Roasts are easy to smoke. Use a mustard slather, your favorite rub, hickory and/or apple wood, and set at 225 degrees. I baste with apple juice every 30 minutes. Flip after 2 hours and again in an hour. I then glaze with whatever flavor of sauce that I want that day (sweet or hot) and take it to165 IT. Takes it 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, depending on the size. Slices like butter and is usually very moist and tasty.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Poor JoeTee, now he’s thoroughly confused. 9 responses, 9 different answers........😂

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        IowaGirl - Of course you can do as you like for you and your family, but 125-130°F doesn't get you to the safe zone for pork. It needs to be 140-145°F, I believe.

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        If you look at the USDA recommendations, yes, 145 F is the recommended minimum "safe" temp. But the Amazing Ribs temp recommendations chart and other reputable sources suggest lower temps are also safe. From Chicago Tribune, May 24, 2011: "...Good quality pork can and should be handled like beef. I prefer 130 to 140 (degrees) for loin cuts of pork...." Coming from a pork producing family (4+ generations), I know how hogs are raised and have no problem cooking modern pork to lower temps like beef

Ok I'm gonna try smoking at 300° until IT is 180°. I'll see how this does.
      A friend told me today he does his pulled pork at 325- 350 and has good results and doesn't wrap it. So thanks again.

Comment

Take us with you! Good luck!

Comment

Pork butt.
          so far at 175° IT,

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200815_114219.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	896579

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that a cup of joe?

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            That is an empty flower pot in the back ground. LOL I did howevery have hot tea.

• Foehn Watts
            Foehn Watts commented
            Editing a comment
            DANG--that looks f, uh, freeking delicious! Could you cook some more and teleport me a couple of roasts?

You did good. As others have said, there are two solid options:
          1. Pork butt until 185 for slicing, or
          2. pork loin.

how did you like the sliced pork butt? Looks pretty darn good! When cooking it like that I think stuffing it with prunes takes it to another level.

Comment

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            Haven't cut it yet. But a hunk stuck to the grill when removed... That I ate right away.
            Very good.

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok just to let you all know.
            I was trying to smoke around 300°. It was from 280 to 310°. The two butts totaled about 20 to 21 pounds.
            Smoked for 8 1/2 hours. Removed them from smoker in the 197° IT range. I didn't bother taking one off early because everywhere I took a temp reading was different.
            Now... They were much better than what I smoked before. They usually come out greasy for my taste. These were not greasy at all. I still pulled the smaller one and served chunks of the other.

Name:	Screenshot_20200815-115332.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	896826

Comment

Really good. I took a lot of notes.

I was worried about these.

I usually smoke at a lower temp. Good crust. Juicy without being greasy. I don't think there was much of a stall. I did foil wrap for the last 1 - 1 1/2 hours and then put in the cooler for about 2 - 3 hours until dinner time.

The graph isn't the whole cook but just to show you.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              When cooking at 300 and above there won’t be a stall.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Back up there! Where are the pictures of the pork? No pics, it didn't happen. Pics of a thermometer graph just don't cut it, Joetee !

Comment

Name:	15975407949393683719766392117846.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	896842

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here