Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    I prefer cooking whole pork tenderloin to 125-130 F internal temp. I usually shoot for the cooker temp to be around 275-300 F. It only takes maybe 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

I also make pastrami using of pork tenderloins. I run the cooker in the same temp range, but cook pastrami a little further to an internal temp of about 145 F. Last ones I did took 1 1/2 hours.

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    165° seems way too high for pork tenderloin. 140 or 145 are much more like it, IMHO.

• Clark
    replied
    I find Pork Tenderloin Roasts are easy to smoke. Use a mustard slather, your favorite rub, hickory and/or apple wood, and set at 225 degrees. I baste with apple juice every 30 minutes. Flip after 2 hours and again in an hour. I then glaze with whatever flavor of sauce that I want that day (sweet or hot) and take it to165 IT. Takes it 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, depending on the size. Slices like butter and is usually very moist and tasty.

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    We do boneless pork shoulder often. You can cook it whole or slice it into steaks then cook either way works, the latter is faster though. I’ve tried internal temps from 165 up to 185F but it seems for us that the 175-180 area is the sweet spot. If you cook it whole, once it’s finished cut the money muscle out and slice it separate into medallions....yum!

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Joetee - 145°F is good for pork loin, but there shoulder muscles (butt, picnic) have a lot connective tissue and so are tougher/chewier. O would think 145°would produce a tougher slice. Like Jerod Broussard said, 185° should producer s nice sliced today is more tender. Since the butt has more fat, and the darker meat, than the loin, it can cook to a higher IT and stay juicy which loin cannot.

• Panhead John
    replied
    Hi JoeTee. I posted this last week on the Introduce Yourself site, it’s on page 2 right now. It’s titled Panhead’s Pork Loin, and it’s wrapped in bacon. If you’re interested one day. It turned out to be the best pork loin that I ever did.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; August 11, 2020, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    Pork loin are actually pretty darn good.

• Greygoose
    replied
    Me and myself would go with a pork loin
    brine ,marinate , smoke and eat it

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    Ok thank you. I just did a search and found one smoked at 300° until IT is 145°. So I wanted to ask you all here. So thank you.

• IowaGirl
    replied
    Yep, pork butt is a good choice. It's a forgiving cut and is usually inexpensive. You'll want to cook it to roughly 185-190 F to get a sliceable, yet tender roast. If you stop at 145 F, the collagen won't be melted down, and the meat won't be tender.

Pork loin or pork tenderloin are other options, but they're not as forgiving as butt. You will want to cook these cuts to no more than 145 F, or they will be dry and flavorless. I shoot for a little cooler than that, but that's purely my preference -- not necessarily everyone's ideal.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    My dad has done butt and ham this way. Just run hot (300-350) and probably 185-ish will give good slices but not too tough.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    started a topic Pork roast

Pork roast

I don't want pulled pork. I want a pork roast. Where I would slice it into 1/2 slices.
    would a pork Butt be good for this? What temp should I remove it from the smoker? 145°?

I like pulled pork but not as much as a roast.

Is there a better piece of meat for this?
    Last edited by Joetee; August 11, 2020, 02:34 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here