Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for my 2nd attempt at pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I typically will do one to two 3lbers, and it seems like I let them go 6-7hrs then wrap, then maybe 1-2 more on heat, and 1-2 in a cambro. I tend to average 10hrs give on take depending on circumstances. Thickness of the meat is what tends to dictate cooking time more so than LxW or weight. But if it does affect cooking time it would only shorten it.

• scottranda
    replied
    I had 6 lbs of pork butt. I was afraid of halfing it to 3 lbs bc I thought it may be too small. Next time I will take it to 3 lbs. thanks Huskee. How are the cooking times of a 3 pounder?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    hiking the temp up at the stall is a great technique, and one Pit Boss advocates. And yep, I'm a firm believer in small butts, lol. 2, 3, or 4lbers max is all I personally do now. I know some folks like a big ol' hunk of meat and there's nothing wrong with that either. One thing I know, no one who's had my pork, including myself has ever said "There shouldn't be this much delicious bark in this pulled pork"!

• TheSmokingYeti
    replied
    Once you figure out the temperature thing, trust the grill to do its job. Don't open it, just let it be. It's doing its thing in there. When the internal temp hits 160-ish...throw some more wood on and go to about 300° for about a 1/2 hour, roughly, then I let it be at around 275 again for the remainder. Just falls apart and tastes great. I do cut them in half now thanks to huskee, I think it was him, more bark that way. Love that tip.

Leave a comment:

• TheSmokingYeti
    replied
    I do 8lbs butts at 275 for around 10 hours. Depending on weather. Sometimes 12. Perfect every time. Every single time.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    This is awesome! I'm glad I was able to help some. Cooking for friends and family is one of life's true expressions of love. And when it comes out perfect, and everyone is overjoyed, well, that is so much better!

• _John_
    replied
    Awesome, glad everything was a success, if you get it right the first time everyone will think it's easy. Smart to pull and rest, resting is almost as important as cooking to me.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    Looks great, Scott

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    Sooooo good! Thanks to all who helped me on my 2nd attempt (first successful attempt)!!

The meat just MELTED off the bone! I yanked the meat off at 198 to give it an hour to rest. Dinner time was at 6pm, so everyone was hungry and happy!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Sounds like fun! Bbq guests eat when the meat's ready, which often in my case is 2 or 3 hrs later than expected! But that helps the eaters REALLY love it!

Oh and John I love your new avatar. But I'm not thrilled with how poorly Michigan is represented on that ribeye

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    HAHA the sneaky stall gets another! You are only allowed to mention done time in planning, as soon as you mention it during the cook, especially to say there was no stall, you get one. Be about 185 by the 4:30 time you mentioned

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    commented on 's reply
    Those stalls happen! My PB stalled at 174 last night, and the PBC died at 12.5 hours. It's wrapped and on the gasser indirect today to finish. Way too hot to be running the oven in the house today.

• barney
    commented on 's reply
    Bless your heart. Ya'll are going to love the end product. Be patient my friend.

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    I say "we" because I feel like this pork butt is "ours" since ya'll have helped me so much! Sorry you don't get to taste!

• scottranda
    replied
    WE'VE STALLED AT 172!!!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis