Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for my 2nd attempt at pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do 8lbs butts at 275 for around 10 hours. Depending on weather. Sometimes 12. Perfect every time. Every single time.

Comment

Once you figure out the temperature thing, trust the grill to do its job. Don't open it, just let it be. It's doing its thing in there. When the internal temp hits 160-ish...throw some more wood on and go to about 300° for about a 1/2 hour, roughly, then I let it be at around 275 again for the remainder. Just falls apart and tastes great. I do cut them in half now thanks to huskee, I think it was him, more bark that way. Love that tip.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        hiking the temp up at the stall is a great technique, and one Pit Boss advocates. And yep, I'm a firm believer in small butts, lol. 2, 3, or 4lbers max is all I personally do now. I know some folks like a big ol' hunk of meat and there's nothing wrong with that either. One thing I know, no one who's had my pork, including myself has ever said "There shouldn't be this much delicious bark in this pulled pork"!

I had 6 lbs of pork butt. I was afraid of halfing it to 3 lbs bc I thought it may be too small. Next time I will take it to 3 lbs. thanks Huskee. How are the cooking times of a 3 pounder?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I typically will do one to two 3lbers, and it seems like I let them go 6-7hrs then wrap, then maybe 1-2 more on heat, and 1-2 in a cambro. I tend to average 10hrs give on take depending on circumstances. Thickness of the meat is what tends to dictate cooking time more so than LxW or weight. But if it does affect cooking time it would only shorten it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here