Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for my 2nd attempt at pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    I dont know fuzz. This is pretty expert advice.

• scottranda
    replied
    fuzzydaddy three (3) hours... sounds like my grill dial thermometer and meat temp probe are just waaaay off.

New professional digital thermometer is in the mail!

Though, I am surprised that an 8 lbs shoulder takes 16 to 18 hours! Good to know so I can plan for that on my next attempt (next week!)

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    Good morning scottranda. I am by no means at an expert level, but I'll share my experiences and I'm sure others will too.
    1. Did you mean 13 hours (not 3) at 225? An 8 lb butt (all that I've cooked have been butts) take 16 to 18 hours (typically 7 to 9 lb).
    2. Maybe your food probe was either not in the center, touching/near a bone (I try to keep my probes at least 1" away from the bone), or your meat probe is bad.
    3. Once I hit ~195 IT (typically around 16 hours for me), I check for tenderness by inserting my Thermapen and it should feel like it's going into butter (practically no resistance), and/or insert a fork and do a 90 degree twist (very little resistance). I also see if the bone is loose.
    4. If it's not tender I let it cook more and check tenderness again.
    5. I used to always take it to 203 IT, but I've recently had more moist butts by pulling from the grill when they are tender (typically 195-197). The last ones were tender after staying at 195-197 for about 2 hours, I wrapped and put into a faux cambro for almost 2 hours (waiting on lunchtime) and they were a lot more moist than previous cooks where I pushed to 203 IT even if they were tender earlier.

EDIT: It took me so long to type this that others had already posted.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    Well, I was using the dial thermometer that came with my grill to monitor the temp of the grill... I know it is inferior, that's why I begged my wife to buy the Therma Q

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    I didn't have a grate temp thermometer and I was using a Williams Sonoma thermometer probe... maybe that's my problem...

That will all be solved when I get my new Therma Q kit in the mail next week. (I ordered it two days ago!)

Sounds like everything about the temperature was wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Vojtek
    replied
    What are you using to measure the temp of your grill and the shoulder? 3 hours just isn't long enough at 225...

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    started a topic Tips for my 2nd attempt at pulled pork?

Tips for my 2nd attempt at pulled pork?

I'm attempting my second pork shoulder for pulled pork. In my first attempt, I left it on the grill for 3 hours at 225 (8 lbs shoulder), and it reached 203 internal temp. It tasted like a roast. There was nothing "pulled" about it.

I was told that I didn't leave it on the grill long enough, but I reached the internal temp of 203, so I pulled it off the grill. Next time, even if I reach 203, I need to leave it on the grill for a few more hours?

Any tips/tricks out there?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here