Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuffed pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffed pork chops

I did 1" thick center cut boneless pork chops on my LBGE yesterday and stuffed them with pepper Jack cheese. Wife gave them 5 stars, but most of the cheese ended up outside of the chops on the grid and they overshot my target temp of 145o by 15o. I had cut a small 1" slit then tried to make a larger pocket, but it was hard to get the cheese into the pocket. Is there a better way of stuffing so the cheese doesn't come out, maybe butterflying them then folding back over cheese slices and sealing with toothpicks? I use a Fireboard to cook to a set temp and find it works very well on my regular chops, but with stuffing the chops, it was hard to get the temp probe into the meat and not in the stuffing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Do you have a good filet knife where you can make the pocket a little longer and deeper into the chop? Was the slit you made 1” long how deep?

Comment

It went almost to the other side of the chop and both to the left and right, I think as far as possible without exiting. That was part of the problem with not being able to get the temp probe into meat away from an edge.

Comment

Were you using high temp cheese??

Comment

I don't know if it was high temp cheese. What kind of cheese is high temp?

Comment

Hallouomi and kasseri cheeses are higher temp-friendly, but the flavor profile is way different from, say, cheddar.

Usually I stuff with a breading mixture along with the cheese. That helps the cheese stay put. That said, I seldom stuff pork chops because by the time the stuffing is up to a safe temp, the pork is overcooked.

FWIW, I prefer stuffing pork tenderloins. They seem to hold on to the stuffing better. Here's a recipe for butterflied pork tenderloin that I use a lot with Swiss cheese--a Cuban Stuffed Pork Tenderloin.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds delicious. I was thinking of trying a stuffed tenderloin.

Comment

We never used cheese in the stuffed pork chops growing up. It was more of a onion-bell pepper stuffing that was already pasteurized so you could just cook the pork chop. Them dudes were HUGE!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here