Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

baby it's been too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeusDingo
    replied
    i'm glad i could be a POSITIVE influence

i do have a water pan, it's isn't great but i kept it filled until the very end.

does anybody know if it is wise to heat up patio blocks? does it matter or do they have some kind of chemical treatment that makes it unsafe? maybe i should make it another post...

Leave a comment:

• Nukes
    replied
    Nicely done! Maybe try a large pan of water to retain and distribute heat? water is a great heat bank, plus the benefit of humidity. You've now motivated me to go cook some pork tonight.

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    took the big one out at 23 hours. the little one was around 178 so i upped the temp to ~300 and it came off at 24 hours. the big one was at 198. the little one was off at 192. i did a faux cambro for the big, wrapped one since were having people over 40 minutes later and i wanted to wait to pull the meat. both were quite good. i added the drippings back in and it really made the flavor come out! it took forever but the result was the best pulled pork I've ever done. i plan to add the drippings to all my future butt cooks. also around the 18 hour mark i made some smoked Italian sausages. i put on a new chunk or hickory since the butt wasn't likely to be absorbing it. after the smoke cleared i cooked them on the grill. i thought those were awesome.

so what did i learn from all this?

-with my cheap smoker i need to wrap for big butts if i want them to get done at the temps i prefer to cook at (~230). it killed the bark in some places but overall it wasn't terrible. the wife preferred it. otherwise i will have to cook at a much higher temp.
    -reaching 203 is an unrealistic dream for this smoker.
    -the bark on the unwrapped one became jerky and not everyone liked it. it was chewy but tasty. i liked it.
    -i think my heat is a little too wispy. i think i need to add some stone or rock or something to keep the heat going even when a big breeze comes along. right now the only thing absorbing and radiating heat is the thin metal parts inside the smoker.
    -i love smoking even if it takes freaking forever for me.

i know you guys have seen a million pork butts but i wanted to post a cook. so there :P

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    22 hours in the big one was wrapped at 162 is now at 195, the little one, which wasn't wrapped, it at 173. cooking temp ~240.

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    14 hours in, internal temp of 160. it hasn't moved in a while. i think i hit the stall! i think i might wrap around 170

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    i have quite a bit of chips to run through yet. christmas. i'm using half fist size chunks (4-6oz) and they seem to be going great! they smoke for a lot longer too. serves me right for believing the manual for my smoker.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
    hour 20 in. i am trying to use chunks and the smoke coming out of those seem to be much more blue than what i am used to. i am very hopeful about using the chunks and getting a good smoke flavor. i smell like a campfire and 5 beers in.
    You'll love chunks! I use only half-fist-sized to fist-sized chunks (on the kettle w/ SnS) or logs on the stickburner. I haven't bought chips in 5 years and I don't miss them. I used to use them on the gasser, better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    hour 20 in. i am trying to use chunks and the smoke coming out of those seem to be much more blue than what i am used to. i am very hopeful about using the chunks and getting a good smoke flavor. i smell like a campfire and 5 beers in.

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    commented on 's reply
    thanks kathryn, i did forget about that but i'm not overly concerned about a smoke ring on pulled pork. ribs and brisket that is a different story!

• DeusDingo
    replied
    It's almost like a countdown. put the rub on last night. the fridge when opened is like a punch in the face of MMHD smells. not terrible but the wife is hoping the milk doesn't taste like MMHD. good thing it's only staying in the fridge for 12 hours or less now!

i can't wait to start this.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Vojtek
    replied
    CurlingDog . Going downhill? Is that what's happening to me? I thought it was time space continuum speeding up .. sigh.. Never tried mustard over oil but just out of curiosity i will...

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Dr. Blonder says that the acidity in mustard inhibits smoke ring formation. I love pretty smoke rings so I don't use a mustard slather any more under the rub. If you can't tell the difference in taste and like to see a smoke ring, then perhaps jettisoning off the mustard will make you a happier cook.

Just passing on that nugget of info from Dr. Blonder's Smoke seminar...

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    I love hickory! I did a side by side test, I think it is posted somewhere, between oil and mustard. To those of us that could tell it seemed a little extra depth, bitterness I assume, and despite using the exact same amount of the same seasoning, we could all taste the pepper quite a bit more. If you gave me one by itself, 99% chance I couldn't tell.

Leave a comment:

• CurlingDog
    replied
    smarkley, we just pick up speed when we're going downhill, but hey... what a ride!

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    Sorry... summers do not slow down. Everything seems to speed up as you get older

Some people add a little back in, I don't; I save the drippings for other wonderful things

I like to pull my pork with Meathead's East Carolina Kiss & Vinegar Barbecue Sauce or a KC BBQ Sauce (if under pressure by certain factions)
    Last edited by smarkley; June 11, 2015, 10:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here