Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Water pan or not to water pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Water pan or not to water pan?

Need to take a quick straw poll....

I’m cooking my second pork butt ever and wondering if I should use a water pan in the indirect heat zone under the pork.

I have a Weber Genesis so it’s a gasser and I’m wondering if I should let the flavor bars do their thing or if a water pan is better.

I've tried both ways on our BKK so it was charcoal.
    End of the day have stopped using the water pan just because it takes less time to cook.
    Taste, bark were a draw, even moistness was indifferent as I wrap my butts with half a can of beer to finish them.

Comment

On my gasser, I use a water pan to help keep temps steady.
      Last edited by BFlynn; August 7, 2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Another three hour argument

Comment

Just gotta try and see what happens. I always use water pan on mine cause the one it came with was worthless! Use other methods now. Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200724_151429.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	892901 I'm still learning too, but this seems to work on my setup.

Comment

I won't advocate either way, but I'll tell ya how I roll...

I use a water pan, on accounta ain't no harm ever has come to me by doin so.

YMMV.

Comment

• Argoboy
              Argoboy commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a water to moderate temp and to catch the drippings so grill/smoker stays cleaner.

I use one. And I don't like to wrap. So it can take a while.

Comment

I do it both ways. If your water is boiling when you put your meat on it shouldn’t take any longer to cook. If there are pluses, I think it would be that moisture attracts smoke, and maybe keeps the bark a little softer. It would be hard for me to tell about the bark being softer since I wrap after cooking and hold for two hours.

Comment

I don’t use a water pan because when I started, I didn’t even know that was a thing. So there’s that.
                A water pan has NEVER been in my Summit gasser...like I said, didn’t even know that was a thing.

The water pan was only introduced to me by the WSM...but then I learned to not use it. So again, there’s that. LOL

These days the butts go into the WSCG, sans water pan.

Comment

I use a water pan. Helps to keep temps steady and the moisture in the cooker helps the meat attract smoke. It’s scientifically proven in Meathead’s book! 😁

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here