Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked St. Louis Ribs on the Jambo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked St. Louis Ribs on the Jambo

Earlier this week decided to smoke some pork ribs (St. Louis cut) and qued them yesterday. Applied a few things from Meathead's Ribs Deep Dive Guide:
    1. Used mayo rather than mustard for my rub adhesive.
    2. Dry brined with kosher salt 4 hours before smoking rather than 1 day before.
    3. Tried the 4-1-1 method and wrapped with butcher paper. Really was a 4-1 method since the ribs were done when I unwrapped them and served them dry with BBQ on the side.
    4. Didn't worry about what wood to use. Used Cherry and Pecan interchangeably. Using smaller spilts when needed.
    These were interesting spares that I bought. They were called "shorts". Never heard that before, but what I got was all the rib tips and cartiledge, but the ribs were cut short. So when I went to cut the spares down to a St. Louis cut, I had to leave a lot of cartiledge and bone (you can see the bone in the last pic). Otherwise my ribs would have been 2" long.
    • Target temp 225-250 d. Averaged 236 d.
    • As mentioned dry brined 4 hours than dusted with my own rib rub (no-salt).
    • After 1.5 hrs and the bark set, I spritzed every 30 min.
    • Put a water pan in the Jambo for the first time. I think it helped.
    • Smoked for 4 hours and wrapped for 1 hour.
    Regardless of the cut, the ribs came out fantastic. Great flavor, just enough saltiness, moist, smokey and that competition bite. The only downside for me is that the ribs get a bit too dark.

Not great at taking pictures. Almost forgot to take a pic of the finished, cut ribs.
    Attached Files

Well I never heard of rib shorts, but the sure do look tasty! I’d eat those all day. Or at least until they’re gone.
    Nice cook pitmaster!!

Comment

Lip smakin' for sure !!!

Comment

They look great to me.

Comment

Nice job & write up/photos!

Comment

Them look jus fine, from where I'm settin...

Not too dark, imo, but then again, I've never wrapped any ribs...

Comment

• BBQPhil
              BBQPhil commented
              Editing a comment
              What's your recipe? I've always wrapped to get them less like pork-chop-chewy

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              BBQPhil Me? A Receipt???
              I apply rub, try to most generally run my cooker fire ~275°-ish, until they start lookin, smellin, feelin proper, then start probe testin with either a toothpick, my Thermapop, or Thermopen.
              How's that fer scientific?
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 9, 2020, 06:26 PM.

Very handsome looking ribs. Good job Sir.

Comment

They look great!

Comment

Yum, Yum, YUM!

Comment

Nice cook. I now use mayo as a binder also, really like the results.

Comment

Looks tasty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here