Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do two pork shoulders take twice as long, or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do two pork shoulders take twice as long, or?

I have done dozens of pork shoulders on my Slow-N-Sear, but only one at a time, usually in the 5.5 to 7.5 lb range, and I have got that down to a tee. I want to smoke two identical pork shoulders at the same time, so will that add a ton of extra time, or just longer until the smoker comes up to temp? I do use digital thermometers for both smoker and meat>

Thank You!

-Ray

There is no such thing as identical pieces of meat.

That being said... As long as there is adequate airflow between the meat etc... then it shouldn’t really add time.

Comment

Remember thickness of meat determines cook time. Unless you are stacking one on top of the other, Nate is accurate when he indicated as long as you have the same airflow around both pieces the cook time should essentially be the same.

Comment

Adding a second butt will not double (or even significantly increase) the cooking time.

Comment

Well - it depends on whether you have tow left shoulders or two right shoulder, or a left and a right shoulder. I can't say too much because someone might take it as political, but I can say that a left and a right together almost never get done...

Comment

Short answer: No.
            Long answer: NNNoooooooooooo

Just make sure they each have some breathing room.

and post pics

Comment

Thank You all who responded! They are going to smoked Saturday, and I will post photos on Sunday.

-Ray

Comment

On my kamado joe, it takes a little longer. Like an hour longer. It if you’re on a big offset, like others say, as long as there is plenty of airflow, shouldn’t increase time at all.

thickness is the biggest factor in cook times though.

good luck!

Comment

putting 2 cold pieces of meat vs 1 will drop cooking temps a bit. If you start with your vents a bit more open than doing 1 butt you should be just fine. You'll likely burn through your charcoal a bit quicker but other than that the results should be comparable.

Comment

I'd say the meat temperatures ramp up little slower when there's a lot of meat to warm up from fridge temperature, but after the first hour or two, the rate of cooking for two hunks o' meat is roughly the same as for one.

In the end, it might take a little more time to cook two roasts compared to one, but nowhere close to double.

The converse is also true -- it takes a whole lot longer than you'd think to cook a little bitty roast compared to a generous family-sized roast. That keeps tripping me up -- it seems like smoking a smaller roast sized for two people should be faster but it isn't.

Comment

I do two shoulders all the time, varying sizes, put a temp probe in each and let em rip.
                      Usually one takes longer than the other, no big deal.
                      Time for one or two more beers.

Comment

I took the plunge on to pork butts a couple weeks ago and the one thing that's stuck with me is that it didn't add too much time but there's still two individual pieces of meat. I had grand plans of them both coming off at the same time because they were very similarly sized, but one just didn't get tender so I held the tender one and the other one got another 50 minutes in the smoke and it was great! they'll be similar but they won't be identical.

​​​​​​

Comment

• smokin fool
                          smokin fool commented
                          Editing a comment
                          +1 better write up than mine

• Schwyy
                          Schwyy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          George Costanza wouldn't post for the rest of the week. Leave on a high note....Showmanship!

I like your post better cause you gave the true BBQ time. I said extra 50 mins, you said 2 more beers!
                          Last edited by Schwyy; August 7, 2020, 07:52 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here