Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injecting a pork shoulder -- question about salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injecting a pork shoulder -- question about salt

Smoking a butt on the RecTec (RecTeq?) this weekend and was going to inject for the first time using Kosmos Pork Injection. If I wasn't injecting, I would do .5 teaspoons/pound of Killer Hogs AP seasoning and then cover with Meat Church Honey Hog rub the day before. Yes, it's a bit more salt than I wish I needed, but my wife and I like the salt. Since I'm going to inject this time, should I skip the AP seasoning, and just cover with the rub? I'm thinking if I dry brine the way I normally do AND inject, it'll be too salty (even for me). What say The Pit? Thanks!

I'd go easy on the AP rub. There is plenty leaking out of the salt (if you don't believe me, catch all the drippings and try to taste that stuff, think sea water). So yeah, I like salt too much too, but I can say from experience sea water is too salty.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Many thanks.

I'd skip it this time. You can always salt at the table, but you can't remove the salt if it's over salted.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true. Thanks.

If I’m injecting I don’t dry brine and If I dry brine I don’t inject. There’s enough sodium already plus what’s in the dry rub.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadof3Illinois View Post
      If I’m injecting I don’t dry brine and If I dry brine I don’t inject. There’s enough sodium already plus what’s in the dry rub.
      Dadof3Illinois Good info, thanks. What makes you decide if you're going to inject or not? I'm cooking a 5.5 lb boneless pork butt, so I'm considering cutting it in half and doing one injected and the other just dry brined to get a side-by-side comparison.

Comment

I usually don’t inject unless I think the meat doesn’t have enough fat throughout and might end up dry when cooked for slicing, which I don’t crutch and will pull off the smoker at @180F internal.
        But for pulled pork I just dry brine, cook/smoke between 275-300F, at 170-175 internal then wrap in foil with some butter, brown sugar, honey, favorite bbq sauce and more rub. I’ll start checking for tenderness at 190F but most of the time it will be @ 200 when it’s done for my liking.

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great, thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here