Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork reheat time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork reheat time

Hello all,

First of all I just want to say thanks for all of the great info on the site and the forum. I made a commitment to improve my grilling this summer and have learned a ton from reading articles and posts. I started with a Weber kettle and have since purchased a PBC. The results have been great.

I plan to smoke 2 pork butts (about 7 lbs each)
    ​​​​on Friday to be served Saturday afternoon. My plan is to cook them to 203, wrap in foil, ice bath then transfer to the fridge until Saturday and then reheat and pull prior to serving. I have 2 questions:

1. About how long will it take to reheat to 160 and what temp would be recommended? Just want to get an idea when I should put them in.

2. Would you add any liquid to the foil prior to reheating?

The PBC will be filled with ribs on Saturday so cooking the day of is not an option.

Thanks in advance for your help!

​​​​​​

Welcome to the Pit!

PBC or kettle for the butts? I ask because when done on the kettle I'll put a foil drip pan on the charcoal grate with a little water in it to start and use this to catch the drippings that I'll add to the pulled meat.

I would also pull the meat when done and put in gallon zip lock to be reheated in boiling water when needed. Less chance of drying it out. Yes add liquid, apple juice or apple cider vinegar...

I also would cut those butts in half to get more surface area which equals more delicious bark! Good Luck!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      +3 on this

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Solid info above.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
        Welcome to the Pit!

PBC or kettle for the butts? I ask because when done on the kettle I'll put a foil drip pan on the charcoal grate with a little water in it to start and use this to catch the drippings that I'll add to the pulled meat.

I would also pull the meat when done and put in gallon zip lock to be reheated in boiling water when needed. Less chance of drying it out. Yes add liquid, apple juice or apple cider vinegar...

I also would cut those butts in half to get more surface area which equals more delicious bark! Good Luck!
        I'm planning on doing the butts on the PBC. I suppose I could wrap after a good bark has formed and that would give me some drippings to add to the pulled meat. Thanks for all of this info.

Comment

How are you serving it, sauced or un-sauced.
          I did the same as you last Sat smoked the butt, pulled it and stored it overnight.
          When I do pork butts/shoulders I take them to 160-180 depending on my mood, wrap them in foil with some beer to take them up to 203 to finish. I get some moisture that way and pour it over the pork after being pulled.
          The next day everything into a crock pot with a can of root beer and a bottle of BBQ sauce, 40-50 mins later ready to serve.
          Again depends how your serving it.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
            How are you serving it, sauced or un-sauced.
            I did the same as you last Sat smoked the butt, pulled it and stored it overnight.
            When I do pork butts/shoulders I take them to 160-180 depending on my mood, wrap them in foil with some beer to take them up to 203 to finish. I get some moisture that way and pour it over the pork after being pulled.
            The next day everything into a crock pot with a can of root beer and a bottle of BBQ sauce, 40-50 mins later ready to serve.
            Again depends how your serving it.
            My original plan was to have it un-sauced and have a variety of sauces on the side. Its a fluid plan though and I'm open to saucing if that's the best option.

Comment

Lately I save unused and un sauced pulled pork in 2 person portions vac packed and in the freezer. Just thaw in fridge when needed and straight into micro for serving. I don’t cut the vac pack, when it blows up like a balloon in the micro it’s done. Supposedly the vac pac plastic is microable.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here