Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Rub Ribs - Detroit Style Recipe - Input Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Rub Ribs - Detroit Style Recipe - Input Please

I've been reading a lot here over the past few days. My brain is running out of my nose type reading. Learned more than I ever thought possible. Heat, Proteins, Sous Vide, Searing, Heat Flux, .... Thanks to all, what an amazing site, indeed. And aptly named.

So the goal is to take a shot at reproducing a Detroit style dry rub rib I used to eat as a kid when I lived in Detroit many years ago. My Dad used to take me there after the dentist's office. Then I'd go as a high school teenager, with my friends. Windsor, Ontario, had a joint called Tunnel BBQ. We'd jump into my '67 Chevy convertible and grab some ribs after a Pistons game at Cobo Hall. Saw Lou Alcindor (!) when he first came to Detroit during his rookie year with Milwaukee. We paid a $1 a ticket to sit in the oxygen tent of Cobo. I remember having a rib eating contest after the game with my friends. Why not? It was either there or Lafeyette Coney Island usually. American Coney just never made it with my circle.

Tunnel BBQ has since closed, but the grand kids are still selling the rub and sauces online from their website. tunnelbbq.com Granddaughter, Helena, told me that what they sell is as close as I will get to what I used to have. So I'm going to go online and throw some money at a couple bottles of sauce and rub. My pleasure.

She also told me I could find a recipe for the ribs (spare ribs) online at their website, and I did. Here it is:

Ingredients
    2 racks back or side ribs
    liberally TBQ Rib, Chicken & Butt Rub
    2 tbsp oil
    1 tbsp paprika

Serve with
    TBQ Zesty Sauce or TBQ Honey Sauce

Directions
    1. Rinse and dry rib strips. Coat lightly with TBQ Rib, Chicken & Butt Rub,
    rub into the meat on both sides.
    2. Bake or BBQ at 425°F for 10 minutes on each side.
    3. Remove from heat, let ribs rest. Brush with oil, sprinkle with a bit more
    TBQ Rib, Chicken & Butt Rub and paprika.
    4. Return strips to oven or BBQ for 10 minutes until crust appears.
    5. Remove from heat, let rest for 10 minutes to seal in juices.
    6. Slice each bone through and serve.
    Drizzle each bone with TBQ Zesty Sauce or TBQ Honey Sauce.

Any thoughts on the recipe from you rib pro's? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm all for hot and fast these days, but to me, that means around 275*. I really don't see how you're going to manage to get the fat and connective tissue in ribs to render and break down, even at 425*, in only 30 minutes of cook time.

Comment

• thedeckle
      thedeckle commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't know. I'll have to investigate! Only other recipe I've read is Meathead's. I'm new to the grilling at this level.

I have seen a recipe years ago for Tunnel bbq sauce so it is out there. I was wondering why did you call this post Detroit style ribs when they are from Windsor ON?

Comment

• thedeckle
      thedeckle commented
      Editing a comment
      It was all stomping grounds to me. No big deal to cross over the bridge or under via the tunnel to head to Windsor.

Tunnel was near downtown and if we were there, we'd stop in when looking for ribs.
      But, for all I know, you are probably correct - they were Windsor style ribs that spread to Detroit!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, Windsor was considered a suburb or part of the Detroit area. There was a time when it was just a drivin around place, cross a bridge or tunnel & yer there. A time before passports & "your papers please".

That cooking time sounds really short to me. I usually do back ribs for about 4 hours at around 250, but will be interested to hear your results.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that it doesn't seem like a long enough cooking time.

What the heck, give it a try with a rack. If it's undercooked, throw them back in the oven or BBQ at 250 d and finish them off.

Comment

My uncles used to do spares really hot and fast like this. And they were TN transplants to Toledo. They tended them pretty close and flipped them a lot, and they were excellent. I never was able to recreate it though - mine came out dry and tough, so I converted to the slow route.

Comment

If you think about "country style" pork ribs, they're often cut from the shoulder, so you'd think they should be cooked with a low and slow method as most people would cook a shoulder/butt roast.

But I often cook country style ribs over moderate heat for around 3/4 - 1 hour, flipping often. The resulting meat is not "fall off the bone" tender, but it's certainly tender enough and is plenty juicy and good.

Maybe these "Detroit style" ribs are prepared with a similar cooking goal in mind?

Comment

I think they're going to have a "grilled" texture and not a "bbq" texture.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here