Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Rib Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Rib Cook

Cooked my first two racks of ribs on my Weber Genesis last Sunday.

Both racks were back ribs from the local grocery store - packaged in front of the butcher’s counter. Used Meathead’s last meal ribs as a template and had an indirect zone at 225-250 and a water pan underneath the ribs. I doubled the wood chips for two racks...which I won’t do again. Also did not wrap them.

Pulled the ribs off after 4:30+. Thermometer said they were at 150-160 but they passed the bend test (maybe?) and we’re getting pretty burnt and dry at the very tips. Bark was really good and had a few bites that were very nice but generally had the consistency of overcooked porkchops. Think this means they just weren’t ready to go off yet.

Including some pics here. Ready for round 2 and looking for any tips, specifically on how to tell if they are done.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files

Mate I am no guru but I've done a few racks and have settled on a 3-1-1 cook works the way I like them. So pulling them at 4 1/2 hrs and not using the crutch would suggest they needed more time. The other give away is there isn't much pull back on the bones. I've found that some racks seem to be quite flexible before you even start cooking them. I don't use temps to cook ribs as it's difficult to be accurate, look for the pullback and check the tenderness.

My best advise fwiw is to keep practising and keep a log with any detail you feel is relevant, to reference next time you cook.
    This is one reason I really like this hobby, every single time I cook I learn another little gem of information.

Comment

We look for pull back of the meat at the bone tip, about 1/2 inch. Also probe the meat between the bones with a toothpick or your thermometer tip. Should probe like going through melted butter.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on what HawkerXP explained.
        I only use a thermometer to monitor smoker temp, the rest of the cook is done by sight.
        I use the toothpick method not the bend test.
        I was using a water pan but stopped but found after a few cooks it went better with without the pan.
        My smoker runs better in the 260-300 range, can't do 250 and under like you.
        Also try spritzing with an apple juice, BBQ sauce, cider vinegar mixture for moisture.
        No two cooks are going to be the same so keep trying.

• jerrybell
        jerrybell commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, much the same for me. I look for the pull back and will do the bend test but the toothpick method seems to be the best indicator for me. You can start probing the ribs before they are ready so you know what that feels like. When they are tender and done you will feel a noticeable difference in how easy the toothpick probe goes in.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here