Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone-In Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone-In Pork Belly

Hey y’all! So this is happening tomorrow morning! Pics as I progress through the process. I will score the skin and will be rubbing it down with my take on Magic Dust (peace, love & bbq). I plan on jumping in tomorrow about 10am. I am using a cherry and pecan mix. Smoke at 220-225F until 160F. Then depending on how it looks, I will keep going unwrapped. If it looks great, wrap and continue until 195-200F. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Pre-rub!
    Attached Files

Comment

Ooooooooooh. Eeeeeeeeerrh!

Comment

Rubbed
        Attached Files

Comment

aaaah, never did one of those but sounds like a good plan. Probe tender is what I look for instead of a certain temp. Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

Comment

Looks good! From my experience, I cook belly two ways:

1. low n slow all the way until probe tender (typically at 190 F). This gives you a super tender, juicy, succulent pork belly. Always great! BUT: the skin turns out like leather, so I trim it off before.

2. relatively hot (350 F) until meat is at 70 C / 160 F. I then ‘pop’ that skin (still attached) over super high heat to get cracklings.

I never wrap pork belly, I prefer the better bark when running ‘nekkid’, plus the belly doesn’t dry out.

in essence there’s a skin on vs skin off cook. Will be interesting to see how yours turn out. I’m eager to learn new stuff.

Either way, when doing low ‘n slow I typically cook at 270F, the pork belly is very forgiving and it goes a lot faster.
            Last edited by Henrik; August 1, 2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 I concur with Mr Sweden

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Morning! After I posted "nekkid", I opted to remove the skin. If you look close, you will see it folded behind the white platter. At my butcher shop, we turn the skin into dog treats. I left the silver skin on. Thanks for the feedback! More to come!

Think Henrik describes the process well, just about the same way I'll do it..
            Look forward to see the end result SheilaAnn

Comment

I always remove the skin. I personally feel you get better results skin off. Bone is no problem and most times I remove the silverskin.
              If I use the skin for cracklings, I rub the skin with a bit of oil. Sprinkle with salt or a rub that has salt in, onto a baking tray and into a hot oven 200C.
              Keep an eye on the cracklings there's no time frame until done.

Comment

About 2.5 hours in....
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi, does the cooking process seem to "stall"? The pork is certainly not probe tender right now, but I have been steady at 174F for a good hour and change. Any thoughts?

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                    SheilaAnn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Please disregard. I panicked before researching. 😳

Ok, everything turned out good, not great, but good. It was probe tender. I rested for 45 minutes.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SheilaAnn; August 2, 2020, 09:07 PM. Reason: The pics are upside down! LOL

Comment

Looks awesome,,,
                    what was it that you would have liked to have been better on this cook ?

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                      SheilaAnn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would have wrapped it sooner. If you look closely, it was practically black. And parts of it, I had to use a butter knife to cut it. That said, I also ate off the bone and it was like buttah! The first time I did a bone-in belly, I sous vide and then finished on the grill (pre-pit master club) and felt that was much better.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here