Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend LP Gasser For Rotisserie Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend LP Gasser For Rotisserie Ribs?

Suggestion of a decent LP Gasser for rotisserie ribs?

Been reading the site, including the reviews, and considering what's available due to the rona, I have it down to a four burner. Thinking of the Weber Summit w IR burner in rear and built in rotisserie, or the Weber four burner Genesis 435 with an add-on rotisserie kit. Both were rated platinum here and they look good to me. But I'd be an idiot not to take a minute before i pull the trigger and ask for some input from the members here.

Perhaps a few of you would be willing to share your thoughts on those, or any other brand/model you think I should consider?
    Add-on rotisserie kit v. built-in? Does it even matter?

I have a 20 yer old Silver B that is down and I want replace it asap. Like, before Monday or within a week.

Thanks so much for anything you throw my way.

I have owned the Summit in the past and would surely buy it again. Great cooker IMO.

Comment

Well, ya probably just opened things up for a wave of suggestions of gassers that’ll do the job. Personally, I have a Napolean, works wonderfully. There is a lot of quality out there. Do yer research & pull the trigger on what you feel comfortable with. The recommendations by Max are spot on, which is why I bought what I bought. You will do fine.

Comment

My Summit S650 has been going strong for over 10 years. Still looks and cooks great. It has all the features you desire--infrared burner, built-in rotisserie, etc. Look at Troutman 's posts on rotisserie chicken on his Summit gasser and you'll be placing your order today, the chicken looks that amazing.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ast#post446917

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; July 31, 2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          That picture says it all. On the Summit the sides of the grill and the lid design are such that the rotisserie is way above the grate, and there is a LOT of clearance, without removing cooking grates. The Genesis II is a complete failure in this area.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the props K, yea I agree the summit is a cooking machine.

thedeckle I have the Genesis II E-410 and the Weber rotisserie kit. I do *NOT* recommend the rotisserie kit at all. Like you, I bought the Genesis II E-410 to replace my 2002 Genesis Silver A, which actually is still working and living at my daughter's house now.

The kit is simply the rotisserie motor and spit, and a couple of the forks/tines that hold stuff on the rotisserie.

The design of the Genesis II series side walls and lid are such that the rotisserie mounting height is very low, requiring removal of the cooking grates. And even then, the one time I spun two 5 pound birds from Sam's Club on it, I had to re-truss the birds very very tightly to prevent them from hitting the flavorizer bars. I tried to put a drip pan with some veggies below the chickens, sitting directly on the flavorizer bars (grates removed), and the birds were practically scraping the middle of the pans, and I had to mound the veggies up at the front and back of the drip pan. With the clearance on the Genesis II rotisserie, you will NEVER EVER spin a turkey on it, as a 5 pound chicken was almost too big. Maybe it will be good for pork loins or beef roasts of moderate diameter.

Personally I was so frustrated I've never tried to cook with it again. Also, without a dedicated IR burner like the Summit has, skin only crisped when I removed the drip pans and turned on the center two burners for a bit at the end of the cook.

So if rotisserie cooking is your thing, I advise skipping the Genesis II entirely. The summit as well as the older Genesis grills have a higher sidewall and lid interior, and the rotisserie mounts higher above the grate. Broil King has some nice grills with a good rotisserie setup as well, in the sub $1000 price range.

For anything OTHER than rotisserie cooking, I really like my Genesis II.
        Last edited by jfmorris; July 31, 2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• thedeckle
          thedeckle commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for this great info relating to the height of the spit to the grill. Do you know which has more room, the Summit 4 burner or the Napoleon 500? I'm stuck between those two. I would rather leave the grates on while using the rotisserie. Thanks again.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          thedeckle Glad I could steer you away from a bad decision on rotisserie cooking. Unfortunately I don't know the clearances - I would have to do the same Google research as you. I advise asking the question in a reply to this thread, so that others respond to it, versus a comment on my response. I also agree that I would prefer to not remove the grate for using the rotisserie - and I know that the pictures I've seen of the Summit show the grate in place with a drip pan on it.

I'm a BIG fan of my Broil King. I have a 5 burner Baron. It's been fantastic. Some of the models have a rotisserie.
        I can't vouch for their rotisserie burner, but I can tell you they make a high quality product.
        They also have a new 1700 degree side burner for searing.

Comment

See what I mean! It’ll end up a good case of "confuse a cat". An old saying we use to use in the 60’s.

Comment

If rotisserie is important to you, I would recommend the summit with the IR burner, that is designed with rotisserie as a primary function.

The kits are not bad, but they don't have that IR burner that produces better rotisserie results.

Comment

Another vote for the Summit, my S670 is a rotisserie machine. That said, I've never tried doing ribs on the rotisserie, so I have no idea how that would turn out. The only problem I ever have is forgetting my procedure and preheating it too hot...

Comment

I have a Summit Platinum D6 (6-burner) that I purchased way back in 2005. I still love it.
                I’m not sure that the new ones are built to the same specs, but they’d still be worth a look.

The rotisserie is a beast and has a fair bit of clearance.

If for some reason I were to replace it...I would look again at the Summit or perhaps a Napoleon. (The Prestige Pro 825 makes my knees wobble LOL but the 665 would probably suit me just as well.)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here