Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mistakes and Flat-out Screw-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistakes and Flat-out Screw-ups

A while back, I watched a YouTube video about smoking beef short ribs. The recipe for the rub was incredibly simple: 40/40/20 mix of coarse kosher salt, ground black pepper, and paprika, with a thin later of mustard to hold the rub to the ribs. Yesterday I briefly (2 hrs) brined a rack of baby backs, rinsed thoroughly, then applied the mustard and rub. After 5 hrs on the smoker, I brushed the rack down with some of the fabulous sauce from the Iron Works in Austin (truly exceptional i9f you don't have the time or patience to make your own from scratch). The ribs, alas, we almost inedible -- way too salty. Curiously, used the very same process with some bone-in short ribs without the wet brining) and they were spectacularly good. I'm guessing that the wet/soaking brine made the ribs just way too salty given the amount of salt in the rub I used. Any thoughts?

I either brine my ribs OR use a rub with salt.
    I don't do both.
    You've just double salted your meat.

Most have us have done that once.

​​​​​

Comment

• luhnlaw
      luhnlaw commented
      Editing a comment
      Lesson learned!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, with Pork Shoulder. Now I just assume that "most pork might be injected"?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      The trick is to remember it, so it stays once. Perilous territory, attempting to remove salt!

Just think, the saturation rate of meat is only 1/2%(aka 0.5%), saturation rate of water is between 26% and 27%.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not know this. Thanks for the valuable info! Explains a lot.

Yup. I should have known better. Indeed, about 1-1/2 hrs. after I dunked the ribs into the brine, I got to thinking about it as immediately pulled them out and thoroughly rinsed them off. I should have taken the next step and simply rubbed with a no-salt concoction. I too am now a "never again!" believer.

Comment

Next time you do beef short ribs, take a look on the free side for Meathead's (I think it was Meathead's) recipe including the Texas sauce recipe he mentions. I have done that recipe once and will do so again. Took quite a while, did not wrap. Incredible black bark and very pink and juicy on the inside! Best beef ribs we have ever eaten. And yes, look for his rub suggestions. If brining with salt do not use a rub with salt in it!

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        You talkin about Texas mop sauce?

Love that stuff

If they were already injected with up to 8-13% Na containing solution, ya might have gotten your salt for the rest of the year.

Comment

I over brined a turkey so badly I used the gravy as ice melter on the driveway
        Last edited by smokin fool; July 28, 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Brilliant!

At least until spring when you had to get out the pressure washer.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, we’ll there was that too 😣

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          "Why are all the neighborhood dogs were licking the driveway dear."

Yes BFlynn Texas Mop Sauce, I had forgotten the name of it. Have to give credit to my wife for insisting on using it (frankly it sounded terrible to me as compared to the BBQ sauces I normally go for) but she was very much right! That sauce made a good meal great.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          BFlynn I think the name has changed to Texas BBQ juice on the free side. Alabama Smoke thanks for mentioning this. I've never tried it before, but oddly enough I did something sort of similar with my beef short ribs yesterday. I need to do some more taste testing!

You also said you did this with baby backs, using a recipe for beef short ribs. There is a huge difference in thickness between the two, with the baby back pork ribs being much thinner. With the beef short ribs, the same amount of time brining may not have penetrated to the center, but with the baby backs, it likely did.

Also - did you say wet brine, or was this a dry brine? Either way, if you brine, you don't need to also rub with salt. Your rub had a 40% salt content, which is high. IF you want to do that, do a dry brine using the rub, or else dry brine with salt, then do a salt less rub.

Comment

I have also dry brined with salt only, however, I use less salt in the dry brine process and then use rubs that have some salt to make up the difference when I have been to lazy to make a salt-less rub. However, like everyone else I too have been way too vigorous with brining/salting. Then - out comes the peanut butter.

Comment

Nuts! I've salted ribs and then used a rub that (lo and behold) had salt in it before. Made for a nice chili (which I didn't add salt to).

Comment

I wish I had half the money back that I have spent trying to "fix" things i salted terribly or otherwise screwed up. Jeeze even a nickel a pound for that waste would be a fortune.

Comment

I did a pair of pork butts over the weekend, and lost track of the time. I pulled them off the smoker at 209 degrees! I've never done that in 20 years of smoking. Luckily, they were still great, with possibly the best bark I've ever managed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here