Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly burnt ends advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly burnt ends advice

I’m going to do some pork bell burnt ends Sunday, but need a bit of advice. I’m cooking two pounds worth, but every recipe and video I see calls for 5-8 pounds. So I am wondering if I need to adjust the length of cook.

Shooting for 275 degrees in the Weber Smokey Mountain. Thinking 3 hours, then slather with a lot of yummy stuff and then cook in a foil pan for an additional hour. Will that be too long? What internal temp do I need to be shooting for?

Thanks! I’ll reward you with pics of the finished product!

I don't think that would be too long. The time for the longer piece of belly is based on its thickness. And the thickness of the smaller piece is likely to be pretty similar given the cut. The length hasn't affected the cooking time very much when I've made bacon or siu yuk (crispy roasted belly).

Comment

I do mine by cutting into cubes before they go in the smoker. Cuts cook time way down and allows rub and smoke all around the cubes. I pan them, hit with sauce, and cover for the last couple hours. Then uncover for the final hour.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        This, only addition I make is I cook them on a grate in the pan, gets them out of the grease.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        I also cut mine into cubes and put on smoker. I place them on jerky racks for the smoking portion. When I have enough smoke/color on them I then wrap in foil with a touch of apple cider and honey to braise in the foil after increasing temp from 250 to 300. Then once they are done cover with some sauce and cook uncovered for 30 minutes to tack up the sauce.
        -Sweaty Paul

Cubes for sure. You will definitely need more than two pounds though.

Cubes to get good stuff all around the meat. See below. And it’s a lot less messy and easier to handle when pre cut.

Also what EdF said

Click image for larger version  Name:	4EB8A766-82FF-4D7D-8258-A995CECB1BDA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	886557
      Last edited by HouseHomey; July 26, 2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I agree, cut into cubes to get rub on all sides. Also easier to work with. Two pounds will cook just fine, you've got some good eatin' ahead!

Comment

You don’t say!

I’ve got these going now, Aiming for 225 but may be a little hotter, 240* but I’m going 3 hours there then into a cover foil pan for an hour aNd then uncovered for 30-60 minutes. See how this turn out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DFADA9EF-EC41-4DEA-BA03-4544A2FB0492.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	886719

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn fine!!!

Came out melt-in-yer-mouth perfect! Thanks all.
          Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!! Congratulations

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here