Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hurricane Hanna Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurricane Hanna Bacon

I will be updating this post throughout the day.

1. KBQ
    2. 25 Lbs Bacon
    3. Neener Neener

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bacon1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	886237

OK, seriously. I first joined AR because of a failed bacon attempt. I found one of those recipes that didn't use a curing salt, just regular salt. I didn't know the science of salt either and subbed table salt for the Kosher salt (I now use weight, not volumetric measurements). The end result was WAY too salty. I didn't waste it, I sliced it and vacuum sealed it to use for bean seasoning. I made several good pots of beans with it.

Fast forward to the 2018 holiday season and I'm bored so I google bacon recipes to see if there was something better. Oh baby, was there! AR.com! I sent several days reading the free site, joined the Pitmaster Club on the one month free trial program, and paid my membership within a few days. I knew this was the cooking site for me.

At the same time I discovered Pork Belly Burnt Ends - not here but locally. As such, every pork belly purchased since then has become either burnt ends or I cooked it like a brisket (Killen's BBQ in Pearland, Tx does this - Mmmm!).

I have been reading everyone's bacon posts lately so I decided I really needed to try homemade bacon again. I'm Texan, go big or go home, so I grabbed every pork belly in my freezer for this project (to be honest, I didn't realize that I had 5; apparently I keep buying them and stuffing them into the freezer).

Hurricane Hanna is hitting South Texas several hundred miles from here. I'm in SE Texas on the Louisiana border but the feeder bands for Hanna have dumped several inches of rain on me today. There is a big break in the radar so I decided to fire up the KBQ. Below are picks as I removed from the cure and seasoned.

Black pepper and Jalapeno.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bacon3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	886239

Chipotle and @Meathead's Asian marinade

Click image for larger version  Name:	bacon2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	886238

I didn't take a picture of the fifth slab (it looks like the Asian slab above but is the biggest at 5.8 lbs). It is a gochujang experiment. I based it on my Korean Short Rib marinade: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...b-street-tacos

Finally, I made 7.5 lbs of @Anton32828'sTasso, it is drying on racks in the fridge and I'll smoke it tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tasso1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	886240
    Last edited by 58limited; July 25, 2020, 03:07 PM.

Only 25 lbs of bacon? I guess you'll have to make more next week.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Next week? I'm thinkin' Wednesday

Just enough rain 2 hours north of you to wet the grass too much.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a friend in Nac, you close by?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited 35 miles ENE

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I was looking at some properties in Center and San Augustine last month. Bet I was in your backyard Jerod.

Wow
    Was going to grab pork belly today but a car repair bill did that in
    Next pay day

Comment

That looks awesome

Comment

Here is the bacon when I pulled it - IT was ~150 degrees but one slab was 165 degrees. It should be fine. Smoked with hickory and pear wood with a little post oak. I haven't sliced any off to taste yet but based on picking it up and moving it, the bacon is finger lickin' good.

From top left to right: black pepper, jalapeno, chipotle, Asian. Next pic is Gochujang. Into the fridge they go over night, I'll slice and vacuum seal (and taste of course) tomorrow morning as I start to smoke the tasso.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bacon4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	886357

Click image for larger version  Name:	bacon5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	886356
        Last edited by 58limited; July 25, 2020, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome! you have a heavy commercial slicer, freeze it and it will slice better.

Comment

Damm.. got me fired up to make some bacon myself after seeing this... Love me some jalapeño pepper bacon..

Comment

I'm Texan, go big or go home, so I grabbed every pork belly in my freezer for this project (to be honest, I didn't realize that I had 5; apparently I keep buying them and stuffing them into the freezer).
              Saved it for a rainy day, eh?

They look great!

Comment

Success, those look awesome and certain will taste equally as good. Mighty fine job Sir.

Comment

Bacon!!!!!!

Comment

Here we go with the finished product. The Asian tasted OK, not my favorite but that is probably personal preference. The Gochujang was similar but with a nice gochujang flavor and a little sweetness. My favorite is the black pepper bacon, followed by the jalapeno. The chipotle was disappointing in that when fried, the chipotle seems to scorch and there is not a lot of chipotle flavor. The jalapeno seasoning scorched too but I could still taste it. Overall, it is all good bacon and I will be making bacon again - mostly black pepper.

For the pepper seasoning I used coarse black pepper, jalapeno powder, and chipotle powder applied after rinsing the bacon when I removed it from the cure. Next time I need to come up with a wet cure version for the jalapeno and chipotle, maybe using a vacuum marinator will help.

Having a commercial meat slicer made slicing all of this bacon a breeze. I started with 25 lbs of pork belly. Lost about 4 pounds in curing and smoking.

Sliced gochujang bacon:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	bacon6.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	886767

More sliced bacon
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	bacon7.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	886766

Vacuum sealed.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	bacon8.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	886768

Now for the tasso. On the KBQ.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	tasso2.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	886769

Finished.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	tasso3.jpg Views:	8 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	886770

A fatty piece cut open (not a great pic, the lean is nice and pink and firm).
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	tasso4.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	886771
                    Last edited by 58limited; July 26, 2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

OK, I'm the New kid....not sure where to post this question but I'll start here and look for guidance.

What are your opinions/recommendations on hanging verses laying on racks for smoking sausages

Comment

• 58limited
                      58limited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Both work fine, depends on your smoker set up as to which way works best. And welcome to the Pit.
                      Last edited by 58limited; July 27, 2020, 05:23 PM.

Try Bacon burnt ends, oh so good.
                    The last time I cook the up I could not stay out of them . . . ate myself in to a spasm.

Comment

• 58limited
                      58limited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've made pork belly burnt ends numerous times but have not done it with cured pork belly. Might do that next month.

Oh my what can I say. I chickened out during the storm and made a stew. You make enough bacon to feed East Texas. You're a better man then me Gunga Din !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here