Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon is not always "Bacon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon is not always "Bacon"

I mentioned in a post about my experiment with using the Asian bacon cure for a rack of ribs that didn't turn out quite the way I was expecting.
    At the same time I cured a 3# belly using the Asian bacon recipe from the free side along with my usual maple syrup bacon.
    I sell the bacon so whenever I'm slicing up the bacon I have the pleasure of frying up a few pieces for myself from each slab for QC purposes.
    I did not enjoy the Asian slices I was test driving but the wife said it was good. I made up a few sample packs for some of my customers and asked them to give me honest feedback.
    Everybody said it was awesome. After the feedback I gave the bacon a second chance and fried some for myself.
    I must agree it was good. I think the first fry I did I had a mind block from the rib experience.
    I know have to include the Asian bacon alongside the maple.

The same day I smoked the above this also happened.
    I was sure there was one slab short when I loaded the smoker and that was confirmed later in the day when it showed up in my "bacon" fridge. I've been wanting to do a flavour comparison cook using indoor oven vs smoker and this presented the opportunity.
    The bottom line is I messed up and left the house to the shops forgetting the bacon in the oven. When I got back the IT was 86C and probe tender.
    What was supposed to be bacon ended up as a pork belly roast that turned out to be above excellent. It was truly delish.
    The next day sliced on a bun with chopped onion and gherkin, dash of bbq sauce and sliced avo on top, was fantastic. Something I'm seriously considering putting on my menu excepting it will be smoked to done.

What I wanted to know has anyone else made the Asian bacon and their thoughts.

I haven’t cured the belly then roasted it but I do brine it over night then add a heavy coating of my favorite rub and smoke to 175 IT. After smoking I’ll fridge it for several hours the slice it 1/2” thick and grill/griddle it while adding a nice citrus glaze.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I love pork belly and have done them in so many different ways. One of my favourites when I'm "Braai-ing" grilling over live fire is to cut thick rashers of bacon about half inch and grill them turning often and just before taking them off brush with some bbq sauce.

I will let you know later today - as soon as the rain stops I'm going to smoke 25 lbs of bacon including Meathead 's Asian recipe and an experiment with gochujang based on my Korean Short Rib marinade. I also made some black pepper, jalapeno pepper, and chipotle pepper bacon. These are based on Meathead's Simple Bacon Recipe but I coated them with the various peppers after rinsing. Each slab is about 5 lbs.

Tomorrow I'm smoking 7.5 lbs of Tasso.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 25, 2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      With all that bacon, your'e my new hero.... Bacon man!!!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be calling on you for a few recipes to add more variety as I go along. I'm doing just over 20# a week at the moment but looks like I need to up it by at least another 10.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm about to post a separate thread on this cook, for better or worse. I'll post recipes if the bacon and tasso turns out good. EDIT: thread is here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ne-hanna-bacon
      Last edited by 58limited; July 25, 2020, 03:11 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here