Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pigsket Tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigsket Tacos

Today was the day I pulled the Pork Brisket (aka pigsket) that I got from Porter Road out of the freezer and put it on my 22" Weber Kettle. Or, more accurately, in my Weber Kettle. Smoked it with some hickory chunks. I expected about a 6 hour cook and was caught a bit by surprise when it rapidly rose in temperature before it hit the stall around 150 degF .It came out of the stall about 2 hours later and I pulled it out of the Weber once it hit 170 degF. Since it cooked a bit faster than I anticipated, I wrapped it in foil and snuggled it into a cooler wrapped up in towels to hold it until dinner time.

Near dinner time I cooked up some home-made flour tortillas and made some crispy onion tangles to top off the tacos. It turned out very yummy.

Here's the pre-cook picture with the pigsket coated in Memphis Dust after an overnight dry brine with a bit of salt

here's the FireBoard details on the cook. I love how stable I can keep the temperature as the FireBoard 2 controls a Pit Viper fan to keep the temperature steady around my target of 225 degF.

Here's the post-cook picture just before assembling the tacos. the three of us enjoyed the meal and will get to enjoy it again in a day or two as there was enough left over to enjoy a warmed-up repeat of tonight's dinner

Since this is a fairly small and expensive cut of meat, this will probably be my one and only time I cook a pork brisket. Glad I did and I was pleased with the results.

I owe a debt of thanks to patcrail who blazed the path for me and shared lots of details on how to cook this specialty cut of pork. Thank you.
    Last edited by RichardCullip; July 22, 2020, 09:32 PM.

Was it plenty tender? I've got pork brisket at the local semi-meat market that has some awesome quality ground meat, but labels the SLC's as baby back ribs and then prices Select to Prime brisket at $3.99/pound.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Get’er done!

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, I need a "semi-meat market".

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
    Was it plenty tender? I've got pork brisket at the local semi-meat market that has some awesome quality ground meat, but labels the SLC's as baby back ribs and then prices Select to Prime brisket at $3.99/pound.
    Yes, it was tender and moist.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here