Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs on a WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs on a WSM

So I have not done any ribs in YEARS. Did a rack of St Louis ribs tonite. The good news is , they were tender and tasty (at least the family thought so ). The challenging news is that they were about the ugliest ribs one could look at. I did them with a dry rub, and by the time I got to hour #6, most all the ribs were showing . They were really tender , and the flavor was good -- smoked them at an average of 250 -- but they would have won NO beauty contests. Curious if all your rib bones show at the end as well ....thx

Did St Louis ribs this week. Definitely had all the bones showing. Don't have a good picture.

They also didn't take 6 hrs. I had 3 hrs, then rapped in butcher paper for 1 hr. All at 250.
    15 mins for sauce to firm up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200716_153856.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	883544Click image for larger version  Name:	20200716_153904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	883545
    ​​​​
    Check out Troutman s rib primer. Good pics there. That shows the meat pulling back from the bone.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...by-step-primer
    Last edited by BFlynn; July 20, 2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

These look a WHOLE lot better than mine --- maybe because you only did 3 hours ?? I didn't look at mine till 4 hours , and that's when the recipe I used said to wrap them in foil .... doing the 3-2-1 method .

Comment

This was the first batch I did with a layer of POG and then a layer of MMD for the rub.
        Bark came out great.

Also first time I've wrapped. But a total smoke time of 4 hrs 15 mins.

I know other folks have used the 3-2-1 method. I've never tried it myself. Went to public school in Arkansas.... All them numbers just confuse me.

Comment

Are you talking about the meat pulling back from the ends of the rib bones, or seeing the bones front and back through the meat itself. If the latter, then for my tastes, that indicates they were over cooked. While I know some folks like there ribs falling off the bones, to me, if you can see the bones and pull them out of the rib meat by hand, they are over cooked. Also, I know that BFlynn has a PBC, though I'm not sure he used it for his cook, ribs tend to cook faster in a PBC than in most other cookers. It is a rib cooking machine.
          Last edited by pkadare; July 20, 2020, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            definitely cooked on the PBC. But those times were in line with Troutman 's primer, and I think he used a WSM for that.

I was talking about the bones poking out of the sides. Not seeing them through the front.

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            BFlynn - I know what you were talking about as I could see from your picture. My question was to the OP.

I did a batch on my BKK on sat, one rack was beauty, the other like yours....butt ugly.
          No two racks of ribs cook exactly the same, the beauty was probe tender before the ug's.
          They did show some bone which I'm good with, you have to expect some shrinkage during the cook.
          They weren't fall of the bone, I like a little fight outta ribs when eating.
          If anything they were just the tiniest bit drier than I like, which I attributed to the extra cook time for the ug rack.
          It was a 4 hour cook in the 240-280 range.
          At the end of the day they disappeared fast, real fast.
          One of my best rib cooks if I do say so myself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here