Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Shoulder - Need Advice

I got a massive 12 lbs bone in pork shoulder. I'm planning on doing pulled pork for a back yard (socially distance) beer festival (since the usual event was canceled this year). The butcher asked me if I wanted the fat cap and skin removed. I wasn't sure. The recipe on this website suggests trimming the fat as you can't get bark under that. But then another recipe suggested that the crispy skin was the best part. Can I remove the skin and make craklings separately? Any and all advice is appreciated.

I don't concern myself with skin for pulled pork. Bark is more important to me. You can do cracklings separately if you want, although that's optional. I definitely trim it up a bit.

Comment

I'm with JC. Trim the fat down, remove the skin. You can also cut a butt of that size into 2-3 pieces if you want more bark.

Comment

• Bumby
        Bumby commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with rickgregory because I always want more bark!

I'd personally take the skin and fat cap off, cut it into thirds.

Ive never made crackling but I think you could give it a shot.

Comment

Remove the skin and make cracklings per the free side. Make sure you leave a nice layer of fat under the skin. Make some of the cracklings with bbq sauce. It's a lot of work but the end product is good. Then you can decide if it's worth the effort to do again.

Comment

Skin would suggest that you have a picnic which is the front lower leg.Twelve pounds is large for a picnic, but If it is the picnic and the shoulder (Boston Butt) it is small. I have never had a Boston Butt with skin on, but I have never had a picnic and shoulder still joined. I have only cooked picnics with skin on scored after marinating for Cuban pork. I am not sure how the picnic would cook without the skin, but the butt trimmed of excess fat will cook just fine. I think the picnic is leaner than the butt and tastes different than the butt.

Post a pic and we can better tell what you are cooking.

Comment

Here are two photos, one from skin side and bottom. What piece did I get? It says Pork Shoulder on label. I do think I'm leaning to carving off the skin and making cracklings and then tieing up the rest and doing the traditional smoked pulled pork roast. 3=5 hours on smoker then into the oven till it reads 203.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              Knock that skin off and most of the fat cap. Cover the Skin with salt and leave uncovered in the fridge to dry out for a couple of days if you want cripy pork skin.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahumadora or fry the strips in bacon grease...

If I have an 8 lb pork shoulder if I cut it in half and cook both sides should it take half the time to smoke? (4-5 hours) instead of 8-10?

Comment

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              not if the thickness is the same as before it was split. half the meat does not mean half the cooking time, necessarily

In the supermarkets near me, if it says "pork shoulder" it's a picnic. It's hard to say for sure from your pics, but I'm leaning toward a picnic. Cutting a picnic in half successfully without a bone saw is a challenge, to say the least, due to the amount and location of bone in the roast. Even if you could get it successfully cut into 2 roughly equal hunks, you won't likely get a 50% reduction in cooking time. More likely a 25-35% reduction. And that's if you wrap it.

Responding to LA Pork Butt - you can definitely smoke a picnic without the skin for pulled pork. I did that for several years back in the 90's when butts were hard to come by in this part of the country.
            Last edited by Dewesq55; July 22, 2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

So just to confirm. If this is indeed a picnic and not a butt, I can still cook it using the free site's pork shoulder recipe? And if I trim off the skin and fat, I can cook that using the free site's cracklings recipe?

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                +1

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup.

IMO this is a picnic roast. I don’t see the blade nor a money muscle. I’ve cooked these just like your normal pork butt but they will get just a little drier. One of the better ones I cooked, I pulled it off when the internal temp was around 175-180 and sliced it about 1/2” thick with a sweet hot pepper jelly glaze.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                That sounds great!

Just don’t be too disappointed if it turns out drier than what you expected. A "Boston Butt"will turn out juicier and with more flavor. I generally see them "cured & smoked". Or an old fashioned boiled dinner with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, celery and other root vegetables. If you smoke it for pulled pork follow the advice of not going too hot..

Comment

Hedge your bets, inject. Crutch with foil. I cook mine fat cap intact, injected, dry brine, and crutches with foil.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After you have cooked it do you take it out of the bag and smoke it?

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ahumadora yeah but they are so juicy it's hard to keep them lit...

Thank you for all the advice. I had been debating whether to use the simple or competition (with injections) recipe. Either way, I dedcided to give it an extra day or two of dry brining to help it from drying out. I find its worked wonders on chicken and beef.

Here is a picture of the skin removed and ready for cracklings; and the trimmed shoulder after salting.
                Attached Files

Comment

I have a fraction of the experience of my bbq brothers on this thread, but that looks pretty impressive, Chevy. The trimming and the slab. Look forward to seeing how that cooks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here