Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berkshire Butts and the stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berkshire Butts and the stall

I have done a couple of Berkshire butts recently. One was 6.25 lbs and the other 8.5 lbs. The photos are of the 8.5 butt. Anyone else notice that that Berkshire butts have a very short stall or none at all? The 6.5 was done in a KBQ and had no stall. Just kept on cookin' The 8.5 was done on an offset and had a stall of less than a hour. With the high fat content of these pieces of meat I would have thought that they would have a long stall rendering out all that fat. The 8.5 was pulled at 203 and had some pockets of jelly like fat and the whole batch was extremely moist with fat. Probably the best pork I have had but also the least healthy! Both butts were not wrapped.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ddevine; July 19, 2020, 07:06 AM.

Never have done one. Looks great!

Comment

@ddevine, you may want to read this from the free side, https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...stall-bane-all it may help you understand that the fat has less to do with stall than you may think. If your comparison is to super market butts it's very possible that the store bought ones were "water added" and needed more evaporative time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here