Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice day to smoke a butt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice day to smoke a butt!

Smart & Final has pork butts on sale for $1.29/lb, so I grabbed an 8.5-lber. Loved it up with salt and then my usual improvised spice mix (garlic powder, ground pepper, chile flakes, cumin, turmeric). Stuck it with 3 MEATER probes, and put it in the smoke vault. Set up my drip pan similar to Meathead’s turkey "gravy" idea, with some bay leaves and stems from red chard and mustard greens - that will be juice to add back to the meat for rice bowls and so forth.

6.5 hrs in at 235F, we’re deep in the stall, at 160F internal, but I’m pushing through. If we get impatient, I’ll cut off enough if the ends for supper, and keep the rest going.

I’ll add an after pic when I pull it. This one is right when the butt went in. Using some odds & ends of red oak, plum, cherry, and apple wood. #stayhomecookout
    Attached Files

Another photo from when I added the yams to the smoker, 7.5 hrs in. Goosed the propane to 260F, added some more cherry wood. The butt is still stalled - now 163F.
    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here