Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures from my first try at "Last Meal Ribs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smarkley
    replied
    Like Ernest, I like unwrapped ribs and my family likes them falling off the bones... A lot of you PBC owners have probably found that if you cook them falling off the bone, they will probably fall in the fire first!

I am considering trying the butcher paper route... Those recent Franklin Vids kind of implied that butcher paper, is a nice compromise between the wrapped with aluminum vs the unwrapped route

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Do they have bbq sauce on them? The sugar in the BBQ sauce will burn, no good eats.
    You could pull them off the bone, add a little apple juice and cook the down a little for pulled pork.
    Or shred and make ribs nachos.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigLebowski
    replied
    All good advice. I agree with you when you said next time you would let them cook longer. Before I got my PBC, I would do ribs sometimes on my gas grill......the water pan was crucial.....and I wrapped too.....but I was fine with my temps up around 250 or so.

Leave a comment:

• CinciJeff
    replied
    My wife asked me if the leftover ribs could be cooked further and I had no idea... If I put them in a crock pot for a couple hours or even back on the grill for an hour or so would they improve? I'm not sure what kind of chemical/cooking transformations take place once the meat has cooled down but I figured someone here would know (or at least share an opinion ) Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    I prefer nonwrapped ribs, my family like the fall apart. Best compromise that I've found is wrapped tightly without added liquid. Sometimes I start mine earlier so they finish around the same time.

Done test I prefer the toothpick poke. Should slide in and out with zero resistance.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    I used my Webber gasser and got great ribs. As fzxdoc said the water pan really helps temps.

They came out great. I usually use my thermometer and measure the temp between the last two bones on the meaty end and when the temp is at least 196*f and the bark breaks crisply I remove them. I personally don't do well with the bark test only

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Good read, you're well on your way. I've done the same as Huskee, I used to wrap, but don't do it any longer. Just wait them out, so to speak. They will get to right where you want them. And the A/B comparison cook is THE best way to learn for your self, as well as learn how your grill works, which is half the job.

I guess I just have one minor comment about the lid being slightly open to keep temp down: I would worry less about temp, and more about keeping moisture in (i.e. close the lid fully).

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    replied
    CinciJeff just remember that Qing is about what YOU like! I like the taste of the rib, so I season sparingly. Others like heavier seasoning. I like mine fall off the bone, what many would consider overdone. I frequently wrap (the sometimes maligned 3-2-1 method) with a touch of apple juice (I use Apple wood chunks). Your side by side test is a winner to help you decide what YOU like. I also watch for the meat to start pulling back for doneness.

Looks like you had a GREAT start, but will only get better as you smoke more. Keep at it!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by CinciJeff View Post
    Heck, I could do one that way and another half slab without wrapping and do a side-by-side comparison!

Perfect plan if you ask me! Then you'll get a good idea how you prefer them (or your family). Like Mosca says though, wrapping doesn't have to mean fall apart. You can get any happy medium you it want just takes practice and trial & error.

I've tried all manners of smoking ribs. I used to do the 3-2-1 because I read it on the interwebs one time. Then I tried 2-2-1, then I tried 3-3. Other times I would place my done ribs, whether 1, 2 or 6 racks, in an aluminum lasagna pan with a little liquid, and tightly cover the top of the pan w/ foil and braise them for 1-2hrs afterward in my oven. For a year or two I was quite convinced I just had to wrap them in some fashion.

Then I went back to not wrapping and using the bend test. This remains my personal favorite way. I average 6-7hrs for typical 2.75 - 3lb racks available in my area. I have a buddy who will argue with me all day that fall apart ribs are better. "Better for you", I tell him. He shakes his head. Then I shake mine. Hard for some people to realize there's more than one way to skin a cat. Lol.
    Last edited by Huskee; June 7, 2015, 11:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CinciJeff
    replied
    Wow! Thank you all so much for the feedback! I can't wait to give my ribs a second try... especially with the tips and setups shared here in this thread.

I have to say that my triangular smoker box did pretty well with my pork loin, just not with the ribs. It may be because I had cracked the lid open a bit to modulate the temperature. Regardless, I ordered one of the stainless steel bags and will try that next time. I also like the idea of the 3-2-1 "recipe" so I'll try that as well. Maybe on just a single half slab. Heck, I could do one that way and another half slab without wrapping and do a side-by-side comparison!

I'll definitely cook longer next time, and I'll try the "bend test" at half-hour intervals to see if I can find that perfect "doneness".

Again, thanks to all who replied, especially Huskee and Kathryn. I can't wait to try my next recipe!

You guys are awesome.

CinciJeff

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Looks great, i've heard good things about that rub, and you didn't use 1/4 of the amount I normally use.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    You can avoid the "fall apart" of foiling by not adding liquid, I've been wrapping for years. I'll add that the reason I do it is because "it's the way I do it", I know what happens, it's predictable for me and the ribs come out great every time. They probably come out great without wrapping too, but like they say, if you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten! Since they come out neither tough to mushy, but with that little tug, I'm happy!

• dancingzorba
    replied
    Here's my setup...

Leave a comment:

• dancingzorba
    replied
    Hey buddy! The joke is, I wrote a post on the temp with my genesis 330 two weeks ago!

I got it to stabilise at 226-235 by using two water filled pans that took up all the space except for the gap between the left burner and the BBQ wall. There I had my smoke box with two chunks of hickory. The left burner on low and the propane tank turned down a bit.

It took some time to stabilise. As some of the folks said, your temps are fine. I like you didn't know any better. So rest easy.

Happy ribbing!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    CinciJeff , I've used my Weber Summit S670 for ribs and brisket back in the day (before I got my Pit Barrel Cooker for smoking), and find that it holds a nice steady 240--also the lowest temp I could get on it--once you get the burners set just right. I still smoke salmon on that grill, and it turns out great.

For ribs and brisket, I used the gas grill setup for smoking that Meathead recommends, with the water pan set on the flavorizer bars, like Meathead shows in Method 1 in his "The Best Setups for Gas Grills" tutorial.

and for salmon, I use his Method 2 setup:

As Huskee says, just hang in there and keep working on your technique. The learning curve is just as much about the smoker itself as it is about the meat.

I found those aluminum smoker packets that Meathead shows on that tutorial worked pretty good--much better than the smoker box on the grill because the smoker box is placed too close to the side and the smoke just goes out all of the grill's openings, not wafting over the meat much at all. I find the smoker box worthless, actually. Instead, I put a couple of packets right on the flavorizer bars. I've bought an A-Maze-In tube for use in my gas grill when I smoke salmon, but have yet to use it. Also, now I use a couple of Mo's pouches (see the ads on this site about them or scroll down on Meathead's BBQ Accessory page) instead of the homemade aluminum packets.

Using the additional smoker packets instead of the built-in Weber smoke box, I could get a pretty decent smoke ring on my ribs and briskets.

HTH,
    Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 7, 2015, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here