Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lomo al trapo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lomo al trapo

Hey pit masters!

I decided to grill a Colombian dish: Lomo al trapo. But, with a small mod. I didn't use Beef Tenderloin, but instead pork loin. Both cuts work, and so do other cuts for this type of cook (full recipe and video is here).

Cuisine: Colombian
    Meat: pork loin (should traditionally be beef tenderloin)
    Servings: 4
    Prep time: 10 minutes (plus what it takes to fire up your grill)
    Cook time: 20-ish minutes, plus 20-ish minutes rest.

Executive Summary
    - Wrap meat in an old kitchen towel, covered with coarse sea salt.
    - Cook right in the fire until 'half-done'.
    - Remove from fire, let the carryover heat finish it.
    - Crack open the (now dried and hard) salt crust to your guests' awe, slice and serve.

I sprayed the towel with water first, then wrapped, then sprayed again. This keeps it from burning up in the first 5-10 minutes. The towel is there to hold the salt in place. The salt is there to protect the meat from the heat, and to lock in moisture. The salt crust is 1/2 inch thick, so that's why this cook depends so much on carryover heat.

Instructions
    Start out by laying a towel flat on the table. Fill a rectangular area with coarse sea salt, roughly 0.5 inches thick. Place the meat along the short side, 2 inches in. Grab the towel and do a 'sushi' roll, keeping it tight. Fold in the ends, and keep rolling. Truss it with butcher's twine. NOTE: do not leave it like this for a few hours, or it's gonna get overly salty. Just wrap it and place on the grill.

Place meat right in the glowing embers. Turn every 5 minutes. I start by rotating 180°, then 90, then 90. That way all four 'sides' get a bit of the action. I do this with fireproof gloves. Handle it gently, you don't want to crack the salt crust before serving.

The trick is to remove the meat from the fire way before it's done. For this cut (pork loin) I'm aiming for a target temp of 62° C / 144° F. I remove the meat 17-20° before target temp, in my case 45° C / 113° F. Leave it smoking (it literally is, see video in link above) on the cutting board in order to 'wait out' the carryover.

Check temps with a Thermapen, it is thin enough to poke through the salt crust. I keep reusing the same probe hole during the cook.

When target temp is reached, crack open the case with the back of the knife handle. Scrape of salt and slice and serve. I served mine with plenty of lime.

As you can see I added zero flavors, it was just the meat, salt and heat. Incredibly juicy and tasty, and quite a nice 'show' to put on for your guests.

Kitchen towel + salt

Click image for larger version

Name:	lomo_al_trapo-2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	881811

Meat being wrapped

Name:	lomo_al_trapo-3.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	881809

Meat trussed, ready for some action

Name:	lomo_al_trapo-4.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	881808

Got a nice fire going, all glowing embers, very hot

Name:	lomo_al_trapo-5.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	881810

Just placed the package right in the fire

Name:	lomo_al_trapo-6.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	881812

Right after it's done, still smoking, now resting

Name:	Lomo_al_trapo-7.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	881814

And here's the full pork loin, with lime. Enjoy!

Name:	Lomo_al_trapo.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	881813

NOTE: use a cheap/old kitchen towel, 'cause it's the last you're gonna see of it

Alright folks, in the words of our very talented pit brother Troutman, Hank is over and out!!!

Thank you for another great idea for the BBQ.
    I don't know if that one would float here my wife values her dish clothes more than my life.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I used an old discarded (washed) bed linen that I tore in kitchen towel size pieces. Easy peasy.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I have NEVER figured out exactly how the dishtowel you manage to ruin is always their favorite? I swear to God I can't tell a difference between one dish towel and the next.

I’d be nervous that would end up a charred cigar !! I’ve done the salt wrapped steak before, it’s amazing that much salt doesn’t over spice the meat.

Great demonstration writeup Hank, well done !! Unfortunately that was my best towel

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve!

Very cool! Something about pic #3 brings Aunt Edna to mind...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha ha!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Aunt Edna work for Cleopatra?

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same thing...lol!

Nice job!

CaptainMike
    Last edited by HawkerXP; July 17, 2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Another wonderful right up making me want to try something else!

Comment

I’ve seen that somewhere before, years ago in my memory banks. Very cool & cool looking.

Comment

I wonder if banana leaves might work in place of the towel/sheet. It would be a high temp version of a kalua.

Years ago I made a javalina ham (uncured) palatable by wrapping it in banana leaves and slow-cooking it at one end of an oil drum pit/grill with coals at the other.
          Last edited by gcdmd; July 28, 2020, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I have done fish like this with banana leaf.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Banana leaves would work just as well. Nice way to "re-use" nature :-)

• DiverDriver
            DiverDriver commented
            Editing a comment
            rappas -

Very nice, Hank. Got to add it to the list.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, it was a big hit!

That is very interesting,

Comment

Looks really good,just may give it a go!

Comment

The page on your site isn't loading for me. Tried directly from the link above and by clicking through from your homepage. I get a blank screen on both Chrome and Internet Explorer. Other recipe pages are not giving me any problems, just the Lomo al Trapo.

Comment

• DiverDriver
                DiverDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Try Firefox. I never would go back to google (other than maps).

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm using FireFox. Switched early this year. Absolutely love it, because of the privacy controls.

• jumbo7676
                jumbo7676 commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik All good on both browsers.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here