Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dibs on the Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dibs on the Ribs

Somehow didn't turn out on the money.
    Further to curing bacon I decided on doing the same with some spares. I butcher my own bellies and there is not really any meat on the bones when I'm done.
    With this batch of bacon I wanted to try the Asian cure per free side for something different to the usual maple syrup. I used one belly for the Asian tester and one of the very spare, spares.
    The weather we were supposed to have last Thursday turned up today and that put paid to serving from the trailer but didn't mean I couldn't use the smoker in the wagon.

It truly is a pleasure owning the XR50 especially given the conditions and that the wagon is parked across the road. Was able to navigate the comforts of home while monitoring things.

The wagon and weather

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200714_131938.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	880748

The ribs

Name:	20200714_112142.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	880749

Name:	20200714_144944.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	880750

Name:	20200714_181320.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	880751

The results

I won't say I was disappointed but I was expecting better. The ribs were on the salty side and I there was a definable ginger taste that seemed a little dominating. I didn't get that bacon taste I was hoping for. I suspect that the Asian cure was just too much for the minimal amount of meat (only between the bones). I'm hoping for beter results with the bacon slab.

Will I try it again. Yes with a more meaty bones and with a flavour I'm more familiar with.

I did not use all the energy just for ribs but had a 7 pound butt that needed attending.

The butt

Name:	20200714_115654.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	880752

Name:	20200714_195139.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	880753

Pulled after 3 hours in cambro.

Name:	20200714_223954.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	880794

Name:	20200714_224011.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	880795

Comment

Did you desalinate the ribs at all? That can help to pull some of the salt out. It might make asian flavor come through better as well.

That being said, the ribs look solid.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Did not desalinate but thought about it and sided with not rinsing for "fear" of loosing the Asian. I think that 3 TBS of ginger in the cure was a little to much as well. Keen to see comparison after smoking the bacon slab tomorrow.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here