Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A problem with ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A problem with ribs

I have smoked baby back ribs several times. They are tender and taste great, but are definitely not as moist as I see in the videos. What am I doing wrong?

I buy my ribs from Costco. They are very meaty, and perhaps show less fat than some other brands. I use a light rub – typically something like Harry Soo’s. I run a Grilla at 225, and this last time followed the "Last Meal Ribs" procedure. No wrap, since Meathead doesn’t recommend that. Hickory or a competition pellet blend. Water pan on the grid in the smoker. Cook is 4 – 4.5 hours. Spritzed hourly with a mix of apple juice, ACV, and water. Ambient temperature was 99 degrees, if that matters.

They look great, taste great, but the moistness that I am expecting just isn’t there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Help, please!

I’ve never cooked Costco baby backs, but I cook their St. Louis cut ribs frequently and I’m always happy with them. Maybe they have too much loin meat, making them drier. Try a different brand, not extra meaty baby backs, or try the St. Louis cut ribs.

Comment

Give St Louis cut ribs a try. As Red Man said Baby Back ribs, especially if extra meaty, can have a large section of loin meat which is very lean and prone to drying out before the rib meat is done.

Comment

Trim that lean loin meat off, or go with St. Louis cut ribs.

Comment

I buy spares and trim them to St. Louis style. Gives me extra tips to have for myself...plus spares usually run a little cheaper per pound.

Comment

How tender off the bone are they?

As said, back rib really means "plenty loin meat riding on a bone," and loin meat = lean meat.

Comment

Try not spritzing them and leave the door closed more, see if that get's you where you want. Not familiar with the Grilla controller, but that water pan probably isn't doing anything for you either if the controller system is functioning properly.

Comment

Maybe bump the temp up to 250*, 270* less time to "dry out"...

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I mostly do St Louie from Costco. 9lb or less 3 pack.

personally, i always wrap with some butter and hot sauce in there. always st louis too. if i have any problem then its usually that i take em a little too far and they are too fall off the bone, always moist though.

Comment

I see a lot of baby back ribs weight 3 - 3 1/2, even 4 lbs now. All they've done is keep more loin meat on the ribs.

I try to buy BBs that are 2.5 lbs or smaller, and they come out better.

I've never spritzed. Are you dry brining? That helps some.

Consistently moist BBs are an elusive goal that I feel I will always be pursuing. Wrapping will keep some moisture, but the bark might not be as good. I haven't gotten a good wrapping technique down yet. Although others here have used it with great success.
                  Last edited by BFlynn; July 13, 2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I’m not sure I understand what’s being asked here. Are you looking for "picture perfect" Wibs (gotta say it ya know) or Wibs that smell, taste & are chewy good. Could we be talking about photographic problems maybe. It seems we would have to have a comparison of what you speak or at least a sample pic of what you are speaking about. Pics of wibs & eatin em very well could be totally different desired outcomes. Plus, what are ya cookin em on, Weber, smoker, barrel? Graphs, read outs, & pics are not necessarily good food. They can be good graphs, read outs & pics. Give us more info.

Comment

I generally only do spares/STLs nowadays, unless somebody specifically wants some BBRs...I find th flavour an texture to be more enjoyable, an they're easier to cook to a satisfactory outcome.
                      I Gotta git with th Program, though, an do me some Blasphemies, I do...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here