Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone side issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone side issues

Hey all, wanted your opinions on a problem I have had with my ribs. Did some babybacks today on my Traeger-noting fancy just memphis dust on both side and put them on at 250. Sauced during the last hour, flavor and color was fabulous. Did not wrap.

My issue and maybe its nothing is that I don’t know what to do with the bone side-sauce or no sauce, flip or no flip, spritz etc. it always seems to get dried out and kind of charred. Doesn’t affect flavor just presentation. Maybe i should just let it ride but figured I learn from the rib masters. Thanks!
    Attached Files

I don’t do anything to it.

Comment

I don't sauce the bone side, but I do sauce the meat side and cook a bit longer. Then I sauce once more and put the ribs under the broiler to caramelize the sauce - gets nice and sticky.

Comment

Sounds like you coooker May have a hot spot?? Are they getting dark from heat??

perhaps put them on foil the last 25% of the cook or wrap them.. or sort of. Just protect the blindside.

or did I miss the point, as usual?

Comment

Try the wrap after 3 hours next time. Yes to spritz, apple juice .I do not put any sauce on bone side, yes to the rub, membrane is pulled.

Comment

If I’m saucing, I sauce both sides. If the bottom is getting burnt, try flipping them.

Comment

Okay, here's my crazy thoughts...HA. When you pick up a rib to eat it the meat side is up correct.....so that means the bone side will be what touches your tongue. So I want to sauce the bone side so you get the same flavor as the meat side and not some off putting char or something I didn't intend for you to taste???
              I know I'm over thinking this but in my pea brain it makes sense to treat both sides the same?

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Didn't know there was an etiquette to eating ribs. Am I supposed to crink my pinky too?

Just kidding. Seriously, I've never paid attention to which side faces up when I eat ribs.

I agree w you to sauce both sides if I do sauce. That way, whichever side is up when I chomp into it, I get a little taste of sauce.

If and when I sauce ribs (which is almost never. If you want sauce it will be on the table) I put sauce on both sides.

Comment

Looks good to me. I don't sauce.

Comment

I sauce both sides, call it a habit.
                  I flip every hour or so and spritz, crutching is an option depends on the cook.
                  Troutman has posted a sticky about smoking ribs, gives you the long and short of smoking both beef and pork ribs.
                  Plenty of ideas and tips for smoking, a must read for any rib smoker.

Comment

I pull membrane and dry brine both sides. Next day I rub both sides. Then on the Primo. I spritz with water and apple cider vinegar a la Franklin BBQ, but only the meat side. I do not flip. Sauce goes on the table as RustyHaines has said.

Comment

I made ribs Friday, so it’s fresh in my head (I don’t make ribs that often)- membrane off, rub on both sides. I rotated the ribs halfway, but did not flip. And I only sauced the top twice during the cook. The kettle ran at 250 majority of the time and they were perfect. Indirect cook should help you from getting the char, so perhaps you do have a hotspot like HouseHomey mentions.

Regardless - those ribs look wonderful! I’d eat them!

Comment

I too would check for hot spots. I typically never spritz ribs, just don't see the need for it. But I do sauce sometimes, and when I do it is both sides. Just like I apply rub on both sides.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here