Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone smoked ribs from frozen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone smoked ribs from frozen?

I’ve done pork loins and some here have experimented with butts with great results. I’ve even done chicken wings...but never a slab of ribs. Has anyone here in Amazing Ribs done this and if so how were the results?

I haven't but I'm excited for some answers

Comment

Nah, I cold water thaw. Doesn't take long at all.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Very true, and I've done the same.....but i'm also guilty of just running to the store and picking up another couple slabs because I didn't want to wait for mine to thaw....LOL. Sometimes my lack of patience shows....HA.

I had intentions of doing this awhile back, but not yet. I have two slabs of SLC rubbed, wrapped and waiting in the deep freeze.

Comment

I've never done it, and maybe I'm still too new to the hobby but if it works for pork butts and loins I have to think it would work for wibs. Course you'd want to season them ahead of the freezing.
        Last edited by wu7y; July 12, 2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Bringing this back up to the top.

I read today's email from Jeff Phillips at Smoking Meat dot com and he has this recipe for smoking a rack of frozen ribs:

My buddy and a long-time moderator, Al, over at the Smoking Meat Forums, posted a while back on how he placed some frozen ribs in the smoker to see how they

It's sort of interesting to me, since I've always been tempted to throw something frozen onto my kamado, kettle, or barrel smokers and see what happens.

In the last step, he "burns off the membrane" in a couple of minutes on a hot gas grill. Never heard of this. Wonder if it actually works.

I'm sure many of you here have smoked ribs from frozen. Any advice?

I know there is a topic or two somewhere on The Pit that addresses smoking pork butts from frozen, and Cooks Illustrated has a steaks-from-frozen video that's interesting too. I'm wondering about ribs though. Might have to try it just for fun.

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Most of the time Costco wibs , St Louie, have the membrane removed already.

• Johnny Booth
            Johnny Booth commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc Yeah, I just went out there for old times sake. LOTs more ads.
            I kinda graduated from Jeff’s flavor profiles and styles when I started with my offset. Been here ever since.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, Johnny Booth , I'm so accustomed to the AR/Pit vibe that I find Philips' recommendations and methods don't often fit into my wheelhouse any more. But every now and again he comes up with a recipe that really rings my chimes. So I scan his email newsletter for hidden gems whenever it arrives in my inbox.

Kathryn

fzxdoc I don't see why you can't. I've cooked a lot of things from frozen, I do steaks like that all the time. It ends up with nicely browned outside and relatively rare-med rare inside. I've done salmon fillets from frozen, both grill and oven. I used to make chicken breasts from frozen frequently, about 20 years ago (I recall which house, which oven) where I came in late, hungry. Would take frozen solid chk brst, into baking dish, half oil half lemon juice and some capers poured over. Into oven, and while I changed clothes, looked at mail, let dogs out, cooked perfectly. Last weekend, I smoked a frozen corned beef. Cleaned out garage fridge and took few old things out, inc a corned beef I'm sure I bought last year's St. Pat's day on sale. I put on smoker Sun morning, pretty much frozen. Let cook until soft enough I could shove probe into it, and cooked till done. Was just right, ate a few bites and the rest is in fridge getting cold/solid so I can run through slicer. I will do that today, will take some pics when I do, but it's good and smoked outside, not overdone inside, perfect for Reubens (or, as I make, Reuben casserole without the bread.) Don't see why you couldn't do with any other piece of meat, as long as you are cooking more "low and slow", so the outside isn't overdone. Probe thermometer is our friend here.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I was curious about the burning off the membrane part, too. Doesn't sound right to me without drying out the ribs.

I never wrap ribs, but that's not to say that I couldn't give them a wrap as directed in Philip's recipe for smoking frozen ribs.

Does your smoking-from-frozen adventures take longer than usual for the same cut of (thawed) meat?

K.

• acorgihouse
            acorgihouse commented
            Editing a comment
            bmillin The temp probe I mentioned. You cook to same internal temp (for corned beef> pastrami I tend to go to 200ish F).

• acorgihouse
            acorgihouse commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey fzxdoc, I don't have a fancy smoker, so no finely controlled temp. I just fire the thing up, and monkey with it along the way. I find it really does not seem to take any longer, no idea why. The corned beef I did Sunday took about the same amount of time as a thawed one, to get to same temp, but whether I consciously let it get hotter for longer, or coincidence, I don't know. I think, in hindsight, I let it get much hotter, for longer, knowing it was frozen. Need to write down at some point

My butcher told me that you can thaw them with warm water if you intend to cook them that day. They thaw quickly

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve done that with vac-sealed brisket: put it in the sink filled with water before leaving for work, it’s thawed when I get home.

The general rule is “freeze quick, thaw slow”, but this works in a pinch.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            In the interests of food safety, I never thaw anything except in a refrigerator. That takes a day or two, sometimes longer, depending on the cut of meat.

Kathryn

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc - you can thaw in a bowl of water in the fridge if you are worried about food safety by leaving it out of the fridge. It will go almost as fast.

And I don't use warm water and frankly don't believe it would make that much of a difference even if I did. Within a few minutes that water will be cold regardless of how warm the water is when you started

I’ve cooked ribs from frozen. The trick is getting the rub to stick. Any slather applied freezes pretty quickly.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Bob K .

I would only smoke ribs from frozen on a day when the Desperation Dinner Syndrome and the Urge to Smoke Something Syndrome collide.

Kathryn

• Bob K
            Bob K commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc - of course, goes without saying. I have done it, but not proud of it 😀

• Johnny Booth
            Johnny Booth commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc - so aptly put. 😁

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here