Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road Pork Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road Pork Wings

Looking around on the Porter Road website and happened across pork wings. What are these? Anyone try them?
    https://porterroad.com/collections/p...cts/pork-wings

Pig wings are a pork product made from the fibula of a pig's shank - a single bone surrounded by lean, tender meat. I’ve had them in restaurants and found them tender and moist. Never cooked one though.

Comment

We have a local food supply store that carries these. They can be a little tough if you don’t cook them slow and break them down. I e smoked them for an hour or so first then braised in the oven with stock and veggies to finish.
      SVQ might work great for these too??

Comment

Yep, known for years as pork shanks. They’re fine eating. I’ve always had them braised, as Dadof3Illinois says.

The Anthracite (local restaurant best known for Bacon Week) used to serve them as Texas Hawg Wings.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca when we get them the shank is frenched and kind of resembles a chicken drumstick.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          @Dadof3inIllinois yep, peeled down like a drummie!

Is that any different than a ham hock?
        I thought ham hocks were shanks.

Comment

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          The hock is the joint between the shank and the foot as I understand it. But I’ve seen shanks mistakenly called hocks. We use hocks in beans regularly.

I love these braised German style. Served with spatzeal (spelling?) and red cabbage. We have restaurant here in Milwaukee called Mader’s. Been around for generations. Braised pork shanks are their signature dish. So good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here