Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon

Trying my hand at homemade bacon today. The pork belly arrived on Thursday from Porter Road. I put it in a solution of pink curing salt, Meat Church Honey Bacon BBQ rub, fresh cracked black pepper and Wild Turkey American Honey whiskey. I flipped the bag twice a day until I took it out and rinsed it this morning. I then applied a fresh coat of the rub, and it's now on my Oklahoma Joe's offset at 225 degrees until it reaches an internal temperature of around 150. Please note Mr. Bones that there is a pot of beans underneath to capture the drippings. I'll update with my results later.
    Attached Files

Sounds so good! Nothin beats homemade bacon!

Comment

Fun! Looking good.

Comment

Beautiful! I needed make some more.

Comment

Beans duly noted, an Extry Bonus Points Awarded.
          Lookin forward to this here bacon, an them beans, as well

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya jus gotta know I love it bein done on an OKJ offset, as well, right?

Bacon has reached 150 degrees internal. I cut myself a sample, and fried it up with eggs and had a side of the beans as well. The bacon retained all the flavors from the whiskey, and the smoke enhanced them further. This will ruin me for store bought bacon.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I grabbed some Nueske's bacon which I understand is pretty good and it is. But it's not better than what I can make.

The only bacon I can't really replicate is Benton's because of the long smoke they do. mmm Benton's....

Comment

I love home made bacon. Make it all the time. Usually have 5-10 pounds in the freezer. But I’ve never put beans underneath while I’m smoking the bacon. How did I not think of this???? You are doing it right!

Comment

The final result all sliced up for packaging. Got a really nice yield, and will actually be holding some back for an upcoming "bacon swap" with a whiskey friend, who will be making lamb belly bacon next weekend.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks amazing! I love homemade bacon!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here