Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork is the Most Boring BBQ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can butterfly your butts. Get best of both worlds and faster cook time.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      My butt's already butterflied. It came that way.
      Last edited by gcdmd; July 12, 2020, 01:26 PM.

I have to disagree about pulled pork being boring. Leftovers have so many fantastic uses. Heat some up for sandwiches for a very quick easy dinner. Some of my favorite uses are tacos, nachos, pizza, and fried rice. The possibilities are endless. I freeze one pound packages and try to always have some in the freezer.

Comment

Try this one rickgregory - or a variation on it. Always a winner!

Here is a simple dinner you could cook on a pancake griddle set on the grate above a fire pit or grill in someone’s backyard, as if performing a magic trick The result is a plate of thick, luscious pork with a deep, burnished crust, redolent of garlic and rosemary, and a sunset of soft, smoky peaches nutty with brown butter The technique is what Francis Mallmann, the Latin American chef who developed the recipe and is its most refined and stylish practitioner, calls “the uncertain edge of burnt.” It requires patience and keen observation

Comment

I believe it was actually Meathead that posted this a loooong time ago but recently I've tried it with good success. When reheating pulled pork from the freezer just give it a little smoke. It is wonderful IMO.

Comment

rickgregory I'm no longer sure I agree with you right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5158.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	879200

(Seriously, that's up there on the list of pork butts I've cooked. Dang, that's good groceries.)

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to put that in my mouth

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not lookin bored at that pan of deliciousness, Brother!

Pulled Pork boring!?!?
        This aggression will not stand!

Pulled pork is the first thing I order when I get east of Texas.

​​​To each their own I guess.

Comment

So ya think it’s boring do ya? Ya this is almost like an unmentionable in the Q world. I sorta, mostly agree. A big loooong cook fer (now I might really ruffle some feathers & that is not my intention) a sandwich? Yes, a sandwich. Now I know burgers are sorta sandwich’s & dogs n’ brats might fall in that category, but ya cook em in minutes not parts of a day. This is stuff I just happened to think of. I blame it all on rickgregory !

Comment

Originally posted by mnavarre View Post
            rickgregory I'm no longer sure I agree with you right now.

(Seriously, that's up there on the list of pork butts I've cooked. Dang, that's good groceries.)
            Looks tasty. But remember, I didnt say it was bad. But that most of the meat is just roast pork. What makes pulled pork good is the bark.

Thought experiment: take a nicely smoked pork butt with your fave rub. Now... trim off all of the bark and set it aside. Just the outer 1/2 inch or so. Pull the rest of the meat. Put it on a bun... but without any sauce or other seasoning.

Excited about that?

PS: It's not that roast pork is bad... but that so high a proportion of the pork is just that. Without the bark, it's just, well, kind of boring.
            Last edited by rickgregory; July 11, 2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Word! Preach if from th Rooftops Brother HouseHomey
              Certainly, to each, his own...an I respect that...

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey - perhaps im not being clear. Of course no one wold do what I suggest. That's not the point. It's that all of the interior meat is basically nothing more than slow roasted pork. It gets basically no flavor from the rub or the smoke. Hence it's (comparatively) boring *as BBQ* where the point, as I see it, is to have those flavors

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I see that middle ground though I’m not sure totally agree about taste.

I’ll buy it though for the point you are making. It’s a specific point "Comparatively" and I see it.

rickgregory I understand the point that pulled pork is boring to you because without the bark or sauce the rest of the meat is nothing special. But, what other meat is not boring without spice and/or sauce? I get the point that there is a lot of meat that is plain without the bark or sauce. From posts it is boring to you and others in the pit, but not to everyone. Isn’t boring like taste in a movie or any other food, a matter of choice or opinion? More people might agree one way or another, but it still remains a personal preference.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              What you're missing is that it's *comparatively* boring since so much of the meat isn't seasoned unless you mix it. Contrast that with ribs or brisket where there's much less 'unseasoned' meat.

Basically, it's about proportions. That's why I think some of the suggestions above about pork steaks, butterflying etc are interesting. Same cut, same technique, better proportions.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              "From posts it is boring to you and others in the pit, but not to everyone. Isn’t boring like taste in a movie or any other food, a matter of choice or opinion? More people might agree one way or another, but it still remains a personal preference."

Don't be that guy. OF COURSE it's a personal preference.

I did my first half butt, about 3.5 lbs... The ratio of bark to meat was way better. Plus, it cooked much quicker.

Comment

One man's boring is another man's excitement....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                true dat Brother.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here