Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pigsket 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigsket 2.0

Porter Road sent me a replacement pork brisket for that underweight one, looks much better, though only 1.7 lbs. Matt at Gambling Stick was cool enough to send me up some of the no-salt rub he uses on these, so we’re gonna try it! The rub is very earthy, with nice, complex layered flavors. It’s not sweet, not spicy (at all), but it has an paprika-type umami, with hints of maybe garlic, onion, maybe a dash of cumin or annatto? Can’t tell, & he ain’t saying, but if it cooks up as good as it tastes, it’s gonna add a nice, unique, layered flavor to this cut! Dry brined this baby overnight, going on the cooker now.
    Plan is to follow the same cook as before, low ‘n slow at 225, pecan smoke, catching drippings for a pan of beans I’m gonna put under it about 2 hours out... might pull a little earlier this time, although it was great at 190, just have to see..stay tuned, we’ll see if this tops the first one.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by patcrail; July 10, 2020, 10:29 AM.

Little bit of the trimmed fat over the coals for some burnt offerin’s... now we drink beer and wait
    Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      No PBR?

2-1/2 hours in @ 225, IT at 145, just put the "coffee beans" underneath (with onions, pork back bacon, & a drizzle of coffee bbq sauce)... right on track for a 6 hour cook with no wrap....
    Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      still NO PBR

3-1/2 hours in, bark is really starting to form, in the stall at 156, smelling incredible.... 4 beers in, thinking I might need to increase the beer consumption rate?? 😎
    Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      PBR still missing from pic?

Uping the beer rate WILL not speed up the cooking rate even though it may seem so. And be careful the illusion can turn and bite you.!

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Guessing another 2 hours cook, then hold in the faux Cambro as long as the Ol Lady’s appetite will allow (last time was an hour, and it was awesome)

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      patcrail Forgot to put in the tongue in cheek emoji sorry. Never take me too seriously.

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles ditto: never ever take anything I say seriously! I got the humor & replied in kind. All good

Click image for larger version

Name:	D696A1AA-EC28-4D19-A93B-6CD7B96708FD.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	878487 About 5 hours in, still well into the stall at 160, but based on last time, it’ll come through soon & climb up to 190 pretty quick

Comment

Need advice: I ain’t at all worried about the time, and it’s out of the stall, about 172, but the instant-read probe falls right through! Is it ever gonna get more tender than that?

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        pair it with PBR.

Thinking hard about pulling it now, screw the temp!

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I going to say yes and hold my breath. Pieces of meat are different and I think your's is ready.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        cook it to tender.
        Sit back enjoy a few PBR Big Boys

Give it a go if it needs more back on the cooker

Comment

Bam! It was AMAZING at probe-tender! I took the first one to 190, and it was moist and tender, but really not all that! BUT now I see why this is such a huge hit for Gambling Stick down in Nashville!
        Matt wouldn’t share any temps or times with me., and I don’t blame him a bit for that! But this time, I noticed that, after it came out of the stall and hit 171-172, my probe fell through the vast majority of the meat! I toyed with taking it higher, being a newbie, but finally realized it will never get more tender than that! Pulled it, and OMG! It literally melts in your mouth! If you take this cut to 190, it’s overcooked! I couldn’t see the big deal on the first one, but I took it to 190— at 170, it is an unbelievably awesome piece of pork!
        Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          You Done GOOD!

You are getting good at cooking this special cut of pork. Thanks for being a pathfinder. I'll be following your lead when I get around to cooking my first one.

Comment

patcrail l I have one of these in the freezer, and am thinking of cooking it this weekend. Did you start from frozen, or did you thaw in the fridge first, dry brine overnight, that kind of thing?

So you are pretty sure the pull temp is going to be around 170 or so? Anyone else want to chime in?

I'll have to use a rub I already have, and am pondering which of Henrik 's fine rubs in my pantry would be best for pork brisket. I would use the Bonafide rub on a beef brisket, maybe the Signature rub, but do I want to go with KC Royale for a pork brisket. I guess I could mix up a batch of MMD and use that too, like I would on a butt. Being a brisket but also pork instead of beef throws me for a loop, haha.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely no help, but watching

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I would actually recommend doing a 50/50 mix of Bonafide Beef and KC Royale on a pigsket, I think that would work out really well.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here