Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disrespecting Bacon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared49
    commented on 's reply
    Hear, hear, I’m for blubbery bacon as well.

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    Do not feel bad. I don't like crisp bacon either. My wife likes it burnt to almost charcoal. Drives me nuts.

• ssandy_561
    replied
    I hope I don’t get kicked from the Pit for admitting this but I don’t like crispy bacon.

There I said it.

Kick me out if needed but I’m not going to cook crispy bacon for me.

When I cook it in a pan I’ll cover with a lid to prevent it from getting crispy.

When I cook it in the oven I’ll stack up three or four slices so it doesn’t get crispy while the other pieces get crispy for the others eating.

I’ve even microwaved it for short periods of time so it cooks but not crisps.

My favorite way to cook bacon is to get a pound of dry cured uncut bacon and roast the bacon In an oven until cooked but not crisp and eat with a fork and knife.

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    replied
    Lose the shame, hold your head up high. Christen it 'Blasphemy Bacon' and begin a campaign of promoting it as the best way to prepare bacon. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    commented on 's reply
    Spell checker faukt I meant oiled.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Did he say BOILED!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Thanx for taking one, (or it looks like ten ), for the team - er - Pit.

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    started a topic Disrespecting Bacon ?

Disrespecting Bacon ?

This falls under the possible "terrorist" banner.
    Boiling Bacon seems very disrespectful in my book, but I want ahead and did it anyway.

Covered the base of my pan with water and reluctantly allowed a few slices of bacon to take a dip, all the time thinking I'd hate to see bacon go to waste.
    Gas burner at full blast to get the water to boil off and the turned right down to low to finish the experiment. I turned the slices once or twice during the cook and the fry.

​

​

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_132959.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	876689

Name:	20200707_133145.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	876690

Then let the bacon fat cool and some more slices into the pan and fried over low heat for a comparison.

Name:	20200707_133559.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	876691

Name:	20200707_134012.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	876692

Name:	20200707_134118.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	876693

The piece at the top of the plate was from the terrorist attack.

Summary

The boiled bacon did not loose it's flavour as I thought it might and had a nice crisp with a soft chew.
    The other had less crisp and more chew.
    I honestly could not tell a difference in the taste of the 2 batches.
    I will use less water next time because it did take a time to boil off and I'll fry the non boil batch in a clean pan instead of left over lard.

Now to line myself up for the firing squad I enjoyed the boiled better. It kind of reminded me of doing bacon in the oven at a low heat for a long time.

Will do another test to verify I just can't fit another piece in at the moment.
    ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here