Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy with a BBR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with a BBR question

Hey everyone. Got a question...for the 4th I smoked 2 slabs of Smithfield Natural Baby Backs following Meatheads Last Meal Ribs recipe. Using an OKJ Bronco 225-230 steady temp...they came out great, but I had them in for over 8 hours and finally pulled them even though I thought they could have gone a hair longer...do I just chalk it up to the meat doing what it was going to do? They did turn out really good, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why it took so long. CHEERS!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Parkin; July 5, 2020, 11:08 PM.

How did you measure temp? If it was with an accurate thermometer at grate level that seems long for backs, but sometimes it just takes longer.

Comment

• Parkin
      Parkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Just ran a check on my thermometer and it checks out OK. Reads 210 for boiling water and I'm at about 1400' elev.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Parkin That Maverick Redi-Chek (assuming the ET-732) is one of the best thermometers out there. Rock solid, dependable temp reading, easy to use. It’s all I used until I got a Fireboard.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said! +10

seems long but...225 isn't a magic temp. Do them at 250 or even 275.

Comment

I cook ribs around 250F ... and back ribs at that temp typically take about 4 hours. Sometimes, though, they get grumpy and stubborn and take 5 or even 6 hours.

Comment

• Parkin
        Parkin commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like that lines with my times at lower temp for stubborn ribs.Thx!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Parkin absolutely. Your outcome looks great, so I don’t think you messed anything up. I think you just had a weird, stubborn bunch of ribs.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Parkin the other thing I’ve noticed is that if the butcher left a lot of the loin on the ribs, they take quite a bit longer to cook.

Yeah this happened to me on my last rib cook. Nearly 7 hrs at 235*. No wrap. Spritz every hour. Sometime you just gotta be patient.

Comment

Wow, those ribs look great!

Comment

Bro, I’d be all over those
          Lots of great advice here only thing I can add is no two cooks are ever the same keep at it👍

Comment

I always plan on a cook going longer than expected . The variables are just unpredictable. I always smoke ribs the day before and on the next day place them in rib racks over coals to heat up and finish off with sauce if wanted. This seems to render more of the solids and open up charred flavors. Looking at those ribs it was time well spent, great job.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              10-4 if the family gets too hungry they can make KD
              At least your happy

What did the ribs weigh?

I normally try to get bb racks about 2.5 lbs.
            Lately the Kroger has been packaging them at 3.5-4 lbs by adding loin meat.

Those take a bit longer.

Still, those ribs look great. If they take 8 hrs every time and come out like that everytime, I would cook 8 hr ribs

If the bark was good, and the smoke was good, and the texture was how you like..... Don't change a damn thing

And that maverick is a solid unit. Mine served me well even after it partially melted.
            Last edited by BFlynn; July 5, 2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I started running my ribs 275-300-ish. Gives me better bark and SLC's can be done in well under 5 hours.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I need to do that. I did some St Louis Saturday at 235 or so and they too close to 7 hours.

Ya done good, but there's a lot of meat on those ribs, so I don't think the time is way out of whack. Take the amount of meat on the ribs into account when you make your cookin' plans and add time when you have very thick ribs.

Comment

Cut the racks into 3, 2, or even 1 (known as blasphemy ribs) bones. You'll get more surface area for rub, and they'll cook faster. They taste just as good as a full rack.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. They were about 4lbs per slab, so.... The ribs did come out great and if it takes 8 hours to get them that way, I'm good with that! Also, glad The Maverick is still kicking.

Comment

They look good. Sometimes at lower temps they just take longer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here