Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Brisket experiment (Pigsket)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final verdict: hands down, the Frankenpig beat the Pigsket up one side & down the other! It was juicier, less chew, same flavor.... the ONLY thing the Pigsket did better was slice like a brisket, where the Frankenpig sliced into smaller pieces (nowhere near pulling, which I definitely didn’t want), simply because it was basically 4-5 pieces of 1/2” blade steak tied on a lump, so cutting the twine & pulling it out separated it into multiple "hunks" that fused together during the cook...
    But, I reserved judgement & let the Ol Lady decide on her own (and she LOVED the Pigsket)... I didn’t tell her it was $20/lb & the Frankenpig was $4/lb, just let her decide, and she was IN LOVE with the Frankenpig, said hands down, no question, it was juicier, more tender, better all around—- when I told her it was 1/4 the price, she about fell over!
    So, yeah, the Pigsket is a damned fine piece of pig, but you can do a whole lot better for a lot less cash! I’m gonna buddy up to the butcher and see if he’ll slice a butt into 1.5-2” steaks for me, and recreate this thing without all the trimming & twine, but skip the brisket & go with shoulder steaks!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork steaks is usually some real good groceries...might wanna fix up some taters, gravy, mebbe even some greens, or such, to go along side...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 5, 2020, 10:15 AM. Reason: w not m

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      @ Mr. Bones , we got to where we eat plain Ol meat with a side of slaw, or wrapped in a tortilla... love sides, but by the time we get enough meat, we ain’t got room for more.... plus we’re trying to eat healthier, so protein & slaw beats the hell outta all those side carbs.... love meat, & haven’t needed any sauce yet... BUT gonna start putting a pan of beans under just about every cook!

RichardCullip .. I wouldn’t do anything different on my next Pigsket, other than less hot pepper in the rub cause it is so thin that it’s a little overpowering... it’s still one damned nice cut of meat, I just figured out I can make better from cheaper cuts

Comment

Fantastic post...Thanks for taking us along for the ride!!!!!!

Comment

What a great topic. I really enjoy reading about your cooks, patcrail .

Kathryn

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fzxdoc , I really enjoy posting them, I learn a ton from the feedback, which usually inspires my next effort!

Oh, I completely unnerstand dietary desires /restrictions....

Ain't likeI was masqueradin as any kinda health food proponent, jus a Down Home Comfort Food one,,, Sry, probly my bad, Brother
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 26, 2020, 04:08 PM. Reason: Ficksed my spailin ;-)

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones No need to apologize, lol 😝, it’s all good, & love all kinda good side fixins... and we aren’t health nuts, just realized when I started BBQing this spring that we ended up eating so much meat that the sides were mostly wasted, so now it’s usually just one: slaw, tater salad, beans, or some grilled veggies ... more than one side, we can’t eat all the meat! 😎

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah: the only reason I brought up the carbs in sides vs protein is cause we’ve both gained about 20 lbs since I bought that Smokey Joe in May... life ain’t easy when you’re fat & greasy 😎. Mr. Bones

Update: I got the free replacement brisket Porter Road sent out to make up for the underweight one in this cook. It’s a much more substantial cut at 1.70 lbs.... still pricy for pork, but I gotta give them credit, they replaced it with a bigger one with no hassle or questions! And Matt from Gambling Stick BBQ sent me up some of the rub he uses on his Pigsket, so I’m gonna try this again in a day or two. Can’t wait to try his rub, it’s very mellow with great layered flavors when I taste it.... not much sugar, no real heat, but really nice, earthy flavors, kind of a paprika/garlic/onion-with-a-dash-of-cumin type flavor... just a guess, and he’s not coming off the secret recipe... can’t blame him!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here