Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Brisket experiment (Pigsket)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Brisket experiment (Pigsket)

Troutman
    Breaking in the brand new Weber 22” & SNS with a smoked pork brisket from Porter Road, alongside a science experiment of mine: a "poor man’s Pigsket" ( cause a 1# brisket at $21 is insane, but I had to try one).,. A little background: the Porter Road pork brisket was inspired by the owner of the BBQ truck they host at the Nashville store, Gambling Stick BBQ.... his Pigsket gets rave reviews all over Nashville, and looks incredible sliced. (first pic below this post). So I bought one (and so did a couple other brothers here).... but when it arrived, it was INSANELY TINY! It was 1.08lbs! The advertised size was 1.25-2.25 lbs ($21 each, not per lb)... past experience is they usually hit the middle of the weights, so I was expecting something close to 2lbs, give or take. Nope, I was literally dumbstruck, it was below the min weight.
    They’ve shipped another, but I have a brand new cooker here, it’s a holiday weekend, today’s slow-cooked pork day, & everything else in that order is fast-cook.
    So, since it’s just me & Mrs, I wanted something else to cook, but wanted to stay similar in time, flavor, and ideally, tenderness as the Pigsket... so I found a pack of pork blade shoulder steaks at Kroger, deboned & trimmed the big fat (for burnt offerings!!), and cinched those pieces up real snug into a similar (but thicker) hunk of meat as the brisket.
    Gonna do a side-by-side trial here... a shootout (Pigout?). I figured shoulder is probably as close as I’m gonna get to Pigsket at the supermarket, & my budget was blown, so I’ll gladly sacrifice a $6 pack of pork for the greater good!
    I hope to learn:

1) Is Pigsket really all it’s cracked up to be, or did I just get robbed?
    2) Can I make a semi-sliceable, poor man’s Pigsket for 1/4 the price from shoulder steaks?
    3) How many beers does it take to cook pork to 190 ish in my new Webber kettle/SNS setup?
    Stick around kiddos, we’ll find out! (I can telll you it takes 5 beers to assemble the 22” Premium Kettle, insert SNS, light it, and burn it in for an hour while prepping the pork)
    Here’s what I’m shooting for with the Pigsket:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by patcrail; July 4, 2020, 12:29 PM.

Trimmed & salted both cuts last night. While the new grill was burning in this morning, I trussed the steak pieces up & rubbed both that hunk & the brisket down with the last of my batch of Memphis Dust... ran a little shy, so gave each a light dusting of some similar store-bought salt-free rub I had for emergencies.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I have some china, like dat, same same pattern, widely known on this here very forum lol! Keep it Simple
      I dang sure try to....

Good luck. My pork brisket came it at 1.35lbs. Just barely above Porter Road’s minimum. It’s sleeping in the freezer until I get brave enough to cook such an expensive cut of meat. I wish Porter Road would price it per pound instead of the flat rate they offer this at. Hope to learn some technique hints from your cook.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother, happy to be the guinea pig here, meant to tag you, glad ya found it! I gotta say, I got pigsket envy over the size of your cut, lol 😆..l they’re shipping another, but yeah, I’d much rather buy per pound... gotta say, though, this is first I’ve ever been dissatisfied

They went on the grill a lil over an hour ago, with the trimmin’s over the coals for flavor! I’m
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      If I might make an observation, fer future reference?
      I see zackly zero beans, below yer pork, to catch alla th gooodness.
      Certainly yer call, Brother, but reckon I'da played it a lil different

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones ... I gave that choice to the Ol Lady, and she nixed the beans.. but I told her about an hour ago I was vetoing that shot next time, ain’t wastin all those drippins again!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      So sry if'n I caused a domestic row, but, Good Lord, Man! Th Beans must go on....

RichardCullip
    For what it’s worth, here’s the PM from the guy at Gambling Stick that made Pigsket famous in Nashville (that’s his sliced in the first pic):

”I generally start them hot about 300 and taper the temp back once they get some good color and bark develop. Takes about 4-5hrs. I only wrap once I pull them off for resting. I would pull it off before you hit 200 to factor in carryover. We use a the same paprika based rub we use for our pork shoulders.“
    So, since his Pigsket is why I took a chance on this cut, I’m following his recommendations, for better or worse.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call, goin in blind, an would follow yer followin his advice, if / when I git to try one out...

RichardCullipTroutman , For what it’s worth, here was his response when I asked him about trying it with such a small cut:
    "I just smoked a few that size this morning and they turned out great."
    So we’ll just have to see! He was a really gracious dude, and I sweet talked him into sending me some of his salt-free rub (he doesn’t sell it, but he’s a good guy, and I keep reading all these over-the-top reviews of his meat, gotta taste what he’s using)... he wouldn’t come off the recipe, but if it’s that good, I’ll try to reverse engineer it...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Def lookin forward to yer (his) rub receipt, like I ain't got eleventeen hunnert already, but there is new life, in every idea...

2 hours (3 beers) in:
    Weird, I expected they might go a little fast, but I’ll be damned if they haven’t hit a stall at about 150... I really expected a higher stall, if much at all, because they’re so small. Interesting. I’ve been keeping them at right about 225

Comment

3 hours in, climbing a little, at 158 & starting to get that BARK!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Woof!!!
        wagwagwag...

Is a "double stall" or "mini stall before the real one" common? Honestly this is the first time I didn’t crutch my cook, but it seemed like it stalled at 150, but short, maybe 45 minutes, but now, it’s stalled about 165 and hasn’t budged in over an hour.... I’m not worried, and sure I’m in the "real" stall, but WTH was that at 150?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Multi stalls are NOT uncommon...

Did the ambient temp in the cooker change? I’ve had this happen before.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, & no, lol 😆.... I let it get low on charcoal (first cook on the new kettle & SNS, so still lots to learn), so it only dropped for 15 minutes, but it went from having to choke it way down to keep it under 250, to having to refuel & crank it up some to keep it over 200... that could well be the cause of the 150 mini-stall

Ok, 6 hours in (forgot to take pics, so these are from 4.5 hours, more bark now), the brisket hit 190, the Frankenpig was deep in its own 165 stall, but was as probe tender as the brisket, so I wrapped both, put the brisket in the faux Cambro to hold, and the Frankenbrisket is carrying on, wrapped

Comment

I give you the "Po Cambro"...
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Simple, yet oh so Elegant, Brother!

Verdict 1! The Pigsket: this was one incredible piece of pig meat! It was tiny, but had a gorgeous bark, juicy when sliced, fork tender, all in all, damned good, but for $21, waay overpriced! And don’t use much heat in your rub on a cut this thin, it really adds more heat than normal... but a half-fork of cole slow in each bite balanced it out beautifully... when the bigger one gets here, I’ll try Memphis Dust without the hot peppers... other than that, don’t plan to change a thing!
        Attached Files

Comment

• RichardCullip
          RichardCullip commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good. Glad it turned out for you. I’ll be giving mine a try in a week or so.

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          RichardCullip You’ll love this hunk of pig! It’s damned good, if overpriced! Glad I tried it, & real happy they’re sending out another! Don’t let my review of the Frankenpig dampen your enthusiasm for this piece.. I wouldn’t change a thing, just found a cheaper cut that’s slightly better, but this is some serious eatin’ ! 😎

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure an it's a Fine Job ya done, me boyo !

Too early to tell on the poor man’s Pigsket (frankenpig), it’s stalled around 165, probes a little tough, so wrapped & going on

Comment

As for the Pigsket, it’s a 7 beer cook (about 6 hours), but that was after a 5-beer grill assembly/burn-in, so your mileage may vary 😎
          Remember, every time you put meat in a crockpot, a baby kitten dies & a kid becomes a vegan!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here