Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Pork Butt

Thought I’d try that whole cook it from frozen thing. I’ve got a pork butt that I dry brined and put the rub on, then ended up freezing when I didn’t get to cook it the following day. Decided that I’d do that for Independence Day Q. Got the WSM fired up and running about 250F, pulled the pork butt from the freezer and stuck it straight on the WSM. Can’t even put a probe in it yet, it’s frozen that hard. I keep my freezer at 0F, so that pork butt has a lot of cooking to do :-).

You can see the frost on the outside, that’s how cold it is
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5358288C-182B-4796-8AF6-412BF9B7291A.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	874760

Look at what putting it on did to my grate temp

Name:	EA8196F3-B021-4D65-B6AB-7186DB8A3824.png
Views:	328
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	874759

This is gonna be interesting. I bet you won't find much of a difference. You will have great smoke adhesion from the meat being so cold in the smoke.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I’m thinking. If this works the way I want it to, I’m just going to do it this way all the time.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m doing a fast, hot cook too .... intending to run the WSM around 280’ish. Normally, if I put meat on from the fridge at 250, there’s hardly a bump on the way to 275-280. Putting the frozen hunk of meat on there slowed that way down. Took about 10 minutes to get out of that 230’ish plateau.

Pork butt has been on for almost an hour. Was able to insert the meat probe. Butt’s internal temp is 26F now. WSM is running about 290F, which is just fine for a hot/fast cook.

Name:	F1EABE23-3BB9-4A37-AADD-43048B140E68.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	874795

Name:	DEADACF4-5476-4925-A7D6-B98400D4C86A.png
Views:	265
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	874794

Comment

Just a reminder why we need to measure temp at the grate with a good thermometer. The WSM bi-metal thermometer says we are at 220F. The actual grate temp according to the Fireboard is 281F

Name:	CDAB4F0A-172D-49FF-9DCF-B92E42183CB3.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	874808

Comment

I’m thinking this will be a fast cook. Frozen and all.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, aiming to be done around 3 PM

I’m not sure there is any science behind it but in my experience... wet brined/mostly thawed and marinated meat cook faster.

Comment

Pork butt is 7 1/2 hours in ... bark looks great, internal temp is 178. Never really had a stall at all, running the WSM at about 275 usually wipes out the stall. Figure I’ve got about 1 1/2, maybe 2 hours, of cooking left. Won’t bother to hold it in a cambro, just rest until it’s cooled down enough to pull. K

Name:	9FF7BDF3-C079-40B2-8DAD-F0264115EF44.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	875214

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks awesome

Waiting to see results!!

Comment

Glad you tried the ol frozen trick. Saves having a half your fridge taken up while de thawing. Looks great so far. Frozen n hot n fast saves a bunch of time..

Comment

Now I wish I would have bribed prior to vac sealing and freezing the ones I got the other day...🙄🙄. This was a very interesting cook...thanks!!

Comment

Interesting, this pork butt ran right through the stall ..... never happened. Temp was good all the way to about 185 and then .... BAM .... stalled. Not horrible, just sat there for about an hour. Finally decided that was enough and pushed the grate temp up to 300F. That took care of the problem. Pulled off the WSM at 199F internal and wrapped for about 30 minutes while everything else was getting prepped.

I can pretty well guarantee that this is how I’m going to be doing pork butt from now on.

Name:	48317E5C-7781-4743-A3D8-FF6FDF441F59.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	875453

Name:	33E4A326-01A9-47AE-B719-EFD6361B23CF.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	875452

Name:	8CA640A0-3F99-4D5E-8D07-1DC157B3C85E.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	875450

Name:	2A9EB1A4-E02F-4A28-8E53-82328A43B332.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	875451

Name:	59CDB6A9-40F2-4EE2-8E06-90479265B265.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	875454

Comment

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks awesome!
                  Glad to see a new {at least to me} technique!!

• Parkin
                  Parkin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great, man. Gonna try this next time I get a 2 pack.

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks fabulous

Yeah, this has been my go-to method for awhile now, especially if I'm buying a two pack and only need one. Then that frozen one can be cooking on just a moment's notice, and with zero mess to clean up in the kitchen. I pretty much always keep one on standby like that.
                Last edited by Steve R.; July 4, 2020, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What I really like is that I didn’t have to add all the meat prep to getting ready for a big BBQ. There’s already enough with salads and sauces and such.

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ecowper, about the only thing I might change going forward is to cut that hunk of meat in half before freezing. Sometimes I just don't need to cook a full 8-10 lbs. Or for those times that I do, more bark is always a good thing.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve R. I was thinking about cutting in half, pulling the bone, and tying. Would give me double the bark!

Thanks for sharing your results. Most interesting and I'm thinking this is going to happen here someday

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had read a couple folks here on the Pit talking about doing this and figured I’d give it a shot. It works great.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here