Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Siu Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Siu Attempt

Sliced some boneless pork butt into 3 inch slabs...Marinated it for 48 hours...Cooked on the gasser at 475 for 1 hour...basted the pork with 10 minutes to go..it was pretty tasty..Who says you can't teach an old Italian new tricks?? :-)
    Attached Files

Molto Buono, Paisano!!!!

I'd snarf that right on up, Sir!!!

Interested in what all else ya did to it, along th way, if yer willin to share...

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Sir!!

That looks very good.

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Sir!!

Certainly, Mr. Bones..The marinade was as follows:
    1/4 cup white sugar
    2tsp.salt
    1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp sesame oil
    1tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
    1tbsp soy sauce
    1tbsp hoisin sauce
    2tsp molasses
    1/8 tsp red food coloring
    3 cloves minced garlic
    I put the pork in a vacuum seal bag, and added all but 2 tbsp of the marinade. Let it sit for 48 hours..
    Put it on the gasser at 475 in a roasting pan with water in the bottom.I flipped the meat at 30 minutes..At about the 1 hour mark, I Basted with remaining marinade and left in on for 10 more minutes..I am not sure where I got this recipe from..I found it stuffed in my Rytek Kutas book..Must have been there a while..

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Many Thanks fer sharin yer Culinary Secrets with us, Brother!
      Reckon there ain't much need to "Sir" me, although I do it alla th time to others, so I unnerstand.

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Just an old habit..Although when said "Sir" to an old SFC in basic, I got my ears pinned back pretty good..:-)

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I heared dat; I was an NCO in my time...

Nice marinade. I can see this working really well with some flanken ribs.
    Thanks for the post and recipe.

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome, Sir..

Looks great! Thanks!

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome, Sir!!

Have mercy, that looks fantastic!

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      I thank you, Sir..one thing is sure..It did not last very long...Will be doing another very shortly..

Looks awesome
    on the list of my next cooks todo
    thanks fer posting

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome, Sir!!

Ditto on all the compliments. I've played with char siu a few times now. It tastes great but my Asian friends shake their heads and say it's not the same as the char siu they've had in Chicago in Chinatown. I'm going to try your method to see if it's any closer. Thank you for sharing the marinade!

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      We love char siu pork steaks and I’ve cooked them several times but I have to agree with your friends and say they don’t compare to good Chinese Char Siu. I cant seem to get it right either and I’ve used several different recipes.

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. One of my friends brought me char siu from Chicago back in February, and it was very different than what the English recipes on the internet produce. We need to send a spy to China :-)

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      You are very welcome, Sir!

Bellissimo! Well done. Thanks for sharing your secrets!

Comment

Very nice cook!!
      NOW I have to ask who layed the brick work on the patio floor? Someone has an eye for detail and a whole lot of patience to cut those bricks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here