Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Brisket?

I just browsing around the Porter Road website and saw they were offering a pork brisket. I've never heard of this cut nor know anyone who has cooked it. Anyone with experience cooking a pork brisket want to chime in with helpful suggestions?

I have never seen one or cooked one.. but I do have a nice pig hanging in th cooler that I have to cut up today.. I will pull the brisket!!

Comment

I just ordered one from a Porter Road. Still trying to figure out what to do with it. It’s small, maybe 2#, definitely low and slow. But how to pair it
      Any suggestions?

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Brine it, smoke it...hogstrami!

Cattle have briskets.
      Pigs have picnics.

It's a retail name which has no meaning, like American Kobe.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta argue there, this isn’t the picnic, it’s the pec muscle.... it’s really not well-known, but the folks I’ve found who’ve worked with it swear by it as a brisket

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess the folks over at https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/defau...ork%5B1%5D.pdf
        are wrong.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I just got it and it ain't no picnic. There you go trusting the gov't again !!!

Originally posted by Bkhuna View Post

Cattle have briskets.
      Pigs have picnics.
      So put the brisket in a basket
      And picnic like a pig!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        👏👏👏👏

I have one showing up from Porter Road today... was thinking of treating it like a butt, but really don’t know... it’ll definitely be low n slow, but probably pull it a little earlier for slicing vs pulling??? It looks delicious that way on the Gambling Stick FB page (search Pigsket)... that’s the Food Truck out front of Porter Road that got them to start cutting them.
      Troutman did you cook yours yet?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        No you and I seem to the guinea pigs. Mine should be here this afternoon. I have a brisket cook ahead of it so I may wait to see your results. I'm thinking the same though, low and slow, get it into the upper 180s or so then slice. What else can you do with it? Maybe roll it and treat it like a Porchetta...hmmm. That's what I may do !!!

Here’s what The Gambling Stick does with it, and that’s what I’m shooting for!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn that looks tasty !!!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d eat that

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn! That looks phenomenal!

I have one being delivered to me today from Porter Road. I'll figure out some way to cook it and report on what I find.

Comment

Troutman , I just messaged the dude at Gambling Stick, cause that thing seems to be a huge hit for him in Nashville, he calls it Pigsket, and it looks delicious to me sliced, not pulled. His advice was that he starts it high, about 300 to get that bark, then tapers the temp down low, 4-5 hours, pulls shy of 200 & holds.... I’m gonna try something similar, maybe not start that high...
        Now I gotta pick a rub!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds about the same as a pork butt cook which makes sense. I would not get it much over 200* or it may not slice well. I generally cook butts at 275* so I wouldn't worry about the 300* thing.

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman, he actually brings them down closer to 225, and recommend definitely pulling below 200 to allow for carryover.... I’m considering pulling & holding about 185-ish

I’m looking forward to seeing the technique and results you guys get. Cooking one is in my near future.

Comment

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          RichardCullip I’ll post that cook on a new topic... sorry I seemed to have hijacked your thread, I was just excited to find out you & Troutman were also looking at them.

Troutman , my SNS & Porter Road order just arrived, & the 22” Weber Kettle arrives tomorrow, so the Pigsket will probably be Saturday, the first low & slow on the new cooker!, but I’ll definitely post that cook @ let ya know!
        I like your idea of Porchetta! But since the Gambling Stick serving that sliced Pigsket in there parking lot is what inspired them to sell it, I gotta give that one a shot first! I wish I’d have bought a couple to play with’!
        Xmas in July:
        Attached Files

Comment

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman , "a piece of meat"? Hell, I ordered more than just that Brisket! I’ve got brand new toys and a holiday weekend, lol 😝... also bought some rib cap steaks, their Memphis BBQ sausage links, and some back bacon to play with! Gotta have something hot/fast for the first cook tomorrow night, lol

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a good delivery day!

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          So...just saying - but with this order right here - you are definitely above trial status! and the Kettle tomorrow! And a cook that no one knows about!

I have been tempted to throw one of those in my order a few times mostly out of curiosity.

I found this article from Daniel Vaughn on pork brisket that I thought could be helpful: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/pork-brisket/

Comment

Troutman Wow,I hope your pork brisket is bigger than mine! Barely a pound!!! I mean, it’s TINY... I read the description of "1.25-2.25 lb" , but Porter Road is usually in the middle of the advertised range, and I’ve never seen one below advertised... was kinda shocked, especially paying $21/lb for some slow-cook pork.... I could buy beautiful steak for that, or a whole lot more brisket, chuck, or Butt.
          They are sending another one out, so I’m happy with customer service, just was really hoping for a 1.5-2lb piece for the cook.
          Let me know how big yours is, brother!
          Attached Files

Comment

• RichardCullip
            RichardCullip commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. That's small. Can't imagine cooking that for 4-5 hours. Looking forward to see what you do with yours.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL, I had the same reaction when I opened the box. Mine was 1.49 pounds, a GIANT compared to yours. What a laugh, oh well maybe I'll grind it up into sausage.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            When your original post came up, I went and perused Porter’s site and had this in mind, but I saw the size and thought...hmmmm. That’s tiny for that price of pork. But, I’ll see what you guys say about if after it’s cooked. Had Porter had more beef available, I would have picked one up. So....patiently waiting your results!

I just see a Pork Brisket as brilliant marketing!

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a whole different cut from the picnic, one of those "butchers cuts", it is the pectoral muscle, & people do some amazing things with it, from what I’ve read...

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            I have seen some articles describing a different cut, belly/picnic, but I gotta believe the folks at Porter Road & the guy at Gambling Stick that theirs is the pec muscle... I’ll find out Saturday when I smoke this baby

Troutman , I talked to the guy at Gambling Stick again, and he swears he smoked several that size earlier, & they came out just like the pic...l I’m gonna give it a shot since is here & they’re sending another one, so nothing to lose. BUT IT BETTER BE DAMNED GOOD to justify $21/pound! Let’s keep in touch on these... I think your Porchetta idea is sounding better and better... unless these are something out of this world, I’ll never spend that kind of cash on a hunk of pork muscle again! I’ve NEVER had Porter Road let me down before, so I’m reserving final judgment, but wish I’d have looked closer at the weight... I expected 2 lbs...,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here