Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about quartered rib slabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about quartered rib slabs

I typically order baby back ribs from my meat service,and they come delivered as full racks. But this time I went with regular spare ribs. I'm a little confused, though, because they came as quarter slabs. At least I think they are quartered. See picture attached. Each piece is a little over two pounds.

Now I'm a little confused as to how to approach them in my WSM. Should I approach these differently if they are not part of a full rack?
    Attached Files

Treat them just as if they are a full rack. Won't make a difference. Lots of folks here with smaller cookers cut theirs down all the time.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

Agree. ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
      Treat them just as if they are a full rack. Won't make a difference. Lots of folks here with smaller cookers cut theirs down all the time.
      Exactly.

Comment

Yup, jus prep em, smoke em, an enjoy, amigo!

Comment

This is funny...the main reason I was confused is that the pieces were so thick. I didn’t realize what I was looking at. Turns out, it was four pieces not two. They were stuck together on top of one another because they were frozen. It’s just the way they were packaged. After they thawed out, I separated them and it made sense. I put the four pieces next to one another and it looks like a full rack!

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, that is odd. What is this "meat service" you are using, TimMDWSM?

• TimMDWSM
            TimMDWSM commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin We use Heartland Foods, based out of Baltimore. They source their pork from Cheshire Pork in NC. I've always been happy with their food, but this was the first time I ordered spare ribs instead of babybacks. I think they package them this way because they are easier to store in the freezer.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Got it. Just making sure it wasn't one of those guys driving around with a freezer truck saying he has to get rid of inventory is and making you a great deal.

OR slice them individually and make blasphemy ribs.....

Comment

No complaints about the finished product! Thanks all. Click image for larger version

Name:	F28F991B-8EF8-457C-A0CA-A7033E3CDA26.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	871593

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here