Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Largest Pulled Pork Cook To-Date and Wrap Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Largest Pulled Pork Cook To-Date and Wrap Test

Yesterday I did my largest cook to date using my Meadow Creek PR42G. Eight butts for a friends wedding, most of the butts were around 10 lbs a couple were smaller and one or two were larger.

Since I had so many I decided to do a wrap experiment. I left 2 unwrapped and wrapped 2 each, foil, butcher paper, and foil pan covered in foil. The two that were unwrapped obviously had the crunchiest bark. The wrapped ones were all pretty similar. The butcher paper took the longest but they were also the largest ones, they were extremely soft since they were on longer and were able to render the most.

Temps ranged between 250 and 300 degrees between the two sides of the cooker. After wrapping the temps went to over between 310 and 340, I think the influx of air during the wrapping caused the increase. Also, during the afternoon it was in direct sunlight on a mid 80's degree day, not sure if that would make a difference in temps. In the future if I wrap I will likely wrap one or two in pans and foil to retain more juice to mix back in the meat and the rest in just foil.

Total cook time was a little over 8 hours for the last two to come off. I used Royal Oak Chef Select briquettes, never had to use the gas burner.

After pulling I mixed the meat with saved drippings and some of my homemade rub. End result was 43lbs of finished product.

Before Wrapping -
    Click image for larger version

Name:	104911095_170882031064905_526182039492410828_o.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	869562
    Wrapped:

Name:	83248644_170882061064902_2423140542114998127_o.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	869561
    Just Getting Started:

Name:	104599947_170882087731566_3279580873117634754_o.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	869564
    End Result:

Name:	106014300_170882124398229_7702272581839619976_o.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	869563

Good gracious!

Comment

You've got me beat by 10lbs. Did them on my YS640. You did good.

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I am gonna have to get the second tier rack to take it to the next level (pun intended)

Good god those pre-wrapped butts look amazing, great color !!. I tend to like to let them go all the way myself, I want the bark !! Which way did you prefer, not sure you really said ??

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        No real favorite, in general I am not a wrapper. But I do like the drippings from the ones in foil to mix with the pulled meat. Going for ward I will probably wrap some (depending on how many I am cooking).

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        One thing I do on when there's just an ugly stall, is to throw them in a pan and cover with foil like you did. I then let it rest and pull in that same pan with all those juices. That's actually my favorite way of late. You give up some bark but oh the moistness and added flavor !!

i need to get to Farmville!!

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        Come on down

They sure do look good in the first pic.

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        My taste tests were pretty good...

Can't wait for our next meatup! I'm guessing we'll get a bigger turn out when the find out you and your Meadow Creek are coming!! Nice job!

Comment

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be happy to bring it. I want to try ribs on it but I need an excuse to cook more than one rack, more like 4 or more racks.

If I remember correctly you were buying a lake house, that could be a good draw also...
        Last edited by clb239; June 25, 2020, 08:16 PM.

Holy cow that’s a lot of pork!

Comment

Not only a Great Cook, looks Delicious, but also a truly worth, an helpful Science Experiment!!!
        Many Thanks, Brother!
        So, what was yer final impressions of th Lone Outlier that ya foiled in a pan?

Comment

• clb239
          clb239 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I wrap I usually use the foil pans covered in foil, makes it easier to collect the drippings for later use and I always have good results that way

I did not see a huge difference between the various wrapping methods. My dad thought the butcher paper was the easiest to pull. Possibly because they were on the longest.

Haaaaam, girl! Looks incredible! I've never wrapped a pork butt, but it sounds like in your experiment, the naked was the worst of the bunch? Or would you just wrap in the future due to time? Great cook, brother!

Comment

• clb239
          clb239 commented
          Editing a comment
          There was nothing wrong with the unwrapped ones, they just have a crunchier bark, which I like.

If I am only cooking one or two butts I usually don't wrap. If I do wrap it is mainly to collect drippings. I usually see very little difference in time between wrapped and unwrapped. But I cook in the 270 - 300 degree range and rarely hit much of a stall.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          cause he was cooking on a....……...pbc!

had to find a way to slip this in

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here