Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this thing I cut out of a pork shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this thing I cut out of a pork shoulder?

Trimming a couple of shoulders to go on this morning and I found this is one of them? I’m thinking maybe a lymph gland? Never seen this before.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FF91E4E5-6280-4134-BD21-9C4530B2CA02.jpeg
Views:	5394
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	868127

When in doubt - cut it out!

Never seen that before

Comment

• RamaJama
      RamaJama commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. I excised it and threw the shoulder on the smoker.

You've seen Aliens, right?

Comment

So I go to the doctor, and he did the bio... the b... the... the bios... the... b... the "bobopsy." Inside the lump he found teeth and a spinal cord. Yes. Inside the lump was my twin.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds like an X-File......

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        My Big Fat Greek Wedding smokenoob

Is that a cyst?

Comment

I suppose this proves every butt is not the same.

Comment

My memory is fuzzy on this, but It's a gland if my memory isn't too fuzzy...

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            ^^^^this!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That's my memory too, and I know I ran into one at some point or another. Toss it!

Looks like your butt came from the wrong end of the pig. :-)

Comment

I'm thinking enlarged glands. On the bright side they don't appear to have white spots with discrete borders so chicken leukosis is out the window.

Comment

I think it is a gland. A delicacy in other parts of the world

Comment

gross

Comment

So it's okay to eat the rest of the butt or nah?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes

• Backroadmeats
                    Backroadmeats commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I myself would not eat that. Usually when glands are all swollen up like that the animal had cancer. I have seen it many times in beef. But not pork.. just my two cents

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-gland-removal

Comment

• pkadare
                    pkadare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was going to ask how you remembered this thread from 4 years ago, and then I read it. :-)

I sent the pic to a good friend of mine that used to work and teach at the Oklahoma State Veterinary School. He slaughtered and butchered a lot of animals there as well as a number of other things. Here is what he had to say:

"Its not a gland or a cyst. Its an abscess. Most likely left over from an injury the animal sustained or injection it got.

If you find those, cut them out and either keep trimming with a new knife, or wash the other thoroughly. It is 100% safe once removed. Just not good eating.

Comment

Call the Amazing Dr. Pol he's done lots of abcesses....abcessi....
                    If I read Backroadmeats right I'd be taking it back to the store for replacement or refund.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                      Backroadmeats commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glands in a butcher age pig should not be anywhere near that big.. I am surprised it passed inspection something was probably wrong with that pig!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here