Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water for smoking pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    replied
    You can up your temp without any problems. I smoke everything around 275° now and see no difference in the finished product.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    I’ve never done a picnic roast. They may not be as marbled as a butt, that could be why it was a little dry. I often smoke 4-5 pound butts and they take as long as 10 pound butts. At 250 they usually take around 10 hours.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    It looks great!

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Did the bone come out clean? Yes? It was done. Were you going by probe tender or just temp? Probe tender is THE way to know wheather its done. When estimating time its meat thickness not poundage that dictates this time.
    I use a pan to catch drippings and start the cook with some water in it to keep things moist until it starts dripping.

Leave a comment:

• OldNav2
    started a topic Water for smoking pulled pork

Water for smoking pulled pork

Smoked my first pulled pork yesterday - a 3.6 pound picnic shoulder (a.k.a., a callie roast, here in SW Illinois) on the indirect side of a Weber propane grill using mesquite chips. I dry brined it for 24 hours and did a riff on Memphis Dust - swapping coriander for cumin, adding a lot more garlic. I just let the roast sit through the stall. According to Meathead's hints, I expected the roast to be finished in about 4-1/2 hours but, at 8.5 hours at a grill temp averaging of 237F, the roast was still only 200F when I pulled it because of hunger and a thunderstorm. It was positively wonderful - as good as any we've ever had in restaurants here around St. Louis.
    What I learned - put a disposable container under the roast to catch the drippings.

Questions:
    1. Why did this small roast take so long? Or did it - was this a "normal" amount of time.
    2. The meat was tasty, but a bit drier than anticipated. I did not have a water reservoir in the grill - should I?
    3. I did not add additional chips - should I have?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo