Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Size: baby backs vs St Louis cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size: baby backs vs St Louis cut

This is remarkable enough (to me) to be worth a new topic. I didn’t expect the baby backs to be bigger than the St Louis cut, even with the trim. St Louis were about 2lbs 5oz, baby backs were 2lbs 11oz. Go figure.

Oh, both had the membrane removed. Nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2FCBA36A-87ED-42EA-B072-303FA71A5473.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	866287

Interesting - was there much loin meat on the BBs?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      They are definitely thicker than the spares, but I wouldn’t say they were "stacked".

I mentioned to my wife the other day that I thought the quality of ribs overall lately haven’t been very good. But for me I do still like the flavor and tenderness of Spares/St Louis better than the baby/loin backs. My family seems to enjoy the back ribs better though...🙄🙄...Ha

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I am in the same boat. About 2 years ago I ran 3 racks of St. Louis Cut and 3 racks of baby/loin backs on the smoker, and while all the ribs were good, the family preferred the baby/loin back ribs to the St. Louis style spares. I liked both about equally.

I'm running both BBs and SLCs tomorrow

I notice a lot of BBs are in the 3.5 - 4 lb range at the store. Those seem to have more loin meat.
    I try to get them about 2.5 - 3 lbs.

Also wonder right now, since there has been a backlog at the meat processors if older/heavier hogs are coming to market...... That's just my late night, over served, wild ass, unfounded guess

Comment

I go back and forth. Lately I’ve been hooked on full spares, because I love the tips. And the flap meat and edge trimmings get done about halfway through the cook for a nice mid afternoon "chef’s treat".

I’m going to do both together this time, I really don’t think I’m going to have a preference. These are from Compart farms. The photo is post salting for the dry brine.

Comment

My observations is that getting spares done right isn't as easy as loin backs. Maybe because they meat layer is thinner and thus easier to over cook.

Am I nuts?

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I see it as 4 1/2 hours of ignoring them, then 45 minutes of rapt concentration.

Never noticed! Thanks, Mosca !

Comment

I prefer the spares squared up into St Louis cut. I have been treating the tips like burnt ends lately. On the quality front, I got some slabs from Creekstone that spoiled me for Costco or Sams club spares.

Comment

I love SLC spares. My family mostly prefers back ribs. I think that back ribs are a bit leaner, and a bit meatier, overall. Personally, I like to buy spares, trim them myself, and use the trimmings for a pot of beans.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here