Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking temp

Hi all,

I know Meathead has said 225 is the ideal temp. I just saw the Master Class by Aaron Franklin and he cooks at 270. What are your thoughts?

225 to 350 has done well for me.

Comment

I stick to 225°. It ain't broke, so I don't fix it.

Comment

• dancingzorba
        dancingzorba commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I have been doing 225 only as well... I’m thinking of trying out 270 once to see how it works out. Nothing too extravagant, just some spare ribs.

I have been doing 275 for a couple of years now and have not seen any ill affects from it, other than shortening the time of my smokes and the stalls.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you cooking on a PBC?

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment

All depends on you and your cooker... I have to fight my stick burner more to keep it at 225 than I do 275 ish.... i would bet money on something like pork butt you nor your guests will be able to tell the difference....

225 if s benchmark they use to give people to try control the variable...

Comment

• dancingzorba
        dancingzorba commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine is pretty good. I haven’t smoked in the winter yet (I’m in Canada) but in the spring, summer and fall it holds its own.

250 and up unless I want to slow down the cook for overnight or otherwise extend the cook for any reason.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree here.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto...
        Jus sayin

My OKJ, Horizon, an GOOR all settle in better, an are happier round ~275°...actually way less fire tendin, at them temps, as well
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 19, 2020, 04:28 PM.

• dancingzorba
        dancingzorba commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting!

I do 225 unless I don't. Some times I will run at 200 for a couple of hours to up the smoke. This is in my Yoder, I have not cooked enough in my cabinet to decide yet. I have not tried 275 yet but enough people say it doesn't hurt for me to believe it. But I do most of my cooks overnight so I want slow.

Comment

I use 275 as my average point and it works for us.

Comment

I only do 225 cause that’s where my smoker is on "High Smoke". I wonder if I would get less smoke at 275?
          Sounds like a 275 cook is needed to find out......will report back

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            If'n yer test indicates less smoke flavour at 275°, toss in a smoke toob, noob!

It'll still be tasty, an done much sooner...

• dancingzorba
            dancingzorba commented
            Editing a comment
            Will let you know!

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones good idea!

Depends what ya cookin and what you are cookin on. If its going to the barrel, I have to let it go. On the kettle then I can dial it in. Rarely cook at 225.

Comment

• dancingzorba
            dancingzorba commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a masterbuilt electric smoker. Someday I would love to have an offset smoker but I use what I have

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            dancingzorba Learnin yer pit, an bein able to make Great Foods outta any cooker is more highly developmental than anything I can think of, when strivin to achieve yer ideal Nirvana of BBQ...

I was bout 55~ish, afore I got my first "decent" smoker, an it was a COS...

I have no doubt in my mind that ya can/do brang some glorious BBQ outta that lectric, Brother!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 24, 2020, 05:26 AM.

• dancingzorba
            dancingzorba commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mr Bones! You’re right, it’s a journey.

250 and up over here.

Comment

There is one exception and that is for pellet smokers. From what I understand they produce there max smoke at lower temps and I would not change that at least for the first few hours.

Comment

• dancingzorba
              dancingzorba commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine maxes out at 270. It’s an electric smoker. The recipe calls for 270, I would want to try it as stated if possible. What do you think?

I still use my electric smoker (Bradley) from time to time. It maxes out at 270-280 as well and I’ve never had a problem. I’m unsure if it just my smoker or all electric smokers but it seems to take a much longer time to get back up to temp after adding food or opening the door to peek?

Enjoy your ribs.

Comment

• dancingzorba
              dancingzorba commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do! And I will watch it more closely.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd think it was rather inherent to all lectric cookers, same as recovery of lectric water heaters vs gas fired heaters...
              An element takes a longer time to recover air/water to setpoint, vs live fire...

Mr. Bones. Every time I come to the "Pit" I learn something new. The only 2 things I’ve ever had that run on gas is my cars and my Weber grill. Maybe it’s living in the Pacific NW with all our hydro electric dams that have denied me the opportunity. Thanks!

Comment

Usually I'm a 225 or 250 degree guy depending on timing and volume of food I'm cooking and where on the cooker I am cooking the food.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here